A&H

Greek Football

NERef

Level 4 Referee
So I'm in Corfu and staying across the road from a local football facility.

We decided to kill a bit of time by taking in a local football game.

No idea what the clubs were but there was a canny little crowd of about 75. Paid €5 to get us all in and sat in Rydale High style stands.

The game itself was poor quality apart from an overhead kick from 16 yards out which the keeper pushed over the bar as it was heading in the top corner and the same keeper saved a penalty in the last minutes to ensure a 2-1 victory for the home side. They celebrated like promotion was achieved or relegation staved off.

Anyway, the officials did well during the game, with a caution issued after the half time whistle for dissent and another couple for FTs. The players threw themselves to the ground shamelessly, screaming as though they'd been shot and the referee and his assistants saw right through it and carried on play. I was secretly hoping one of the officials would pull up so I could have a run about but that didn't happen. Game went well however and the passions from the crowd were extreme, setting off smoke bombs and fire crackers when a goal was scored!

Still, the officials seemed nonchalant to the crowd and the teams and conducted their duties well.

When anyone else goes on holiday do you take local games in like I have? If so, what are your observations?

The Referee Store
Many years ago we went to Greece on a annual holiday/family gathering as that's where my family is from. My Cousins team had a game and the local league knowing my dad was and English L3 at the time asked him if he would take charge of the fixture.
My cousins team lost and dad gave a late penalty to the winning team and a red to the home team keeper to make it 3-2. My cousin didn't speak to dad for the rest of our 3 weeks there :D

They do take it very seriously!:rolleyes:

Played in a vets tournament in Holland a couple of years back- refs were good apart from not liking a challenge/full blooded tackle.

I am not talking 60's/ 70's/80's style brutality but the sort of fair challenge you see every weekend at supply/contrib.

Lost in the final , gutted but proud to wear the 3lions, albeit unofficially.

Went to Rio 4 years ago when England played Brazil in the Maracana and the England Supporters Club arranged a friendly game with some local Brazilians. The game was 7 vs. 7 and played at a facility in one of the favelas and I helped with the refereeing. To be honest, apart from sweating a lot, I had very little to do as the Brazilian skill was too much for the English and they barely got near them never mind foul any of them.

Back