A&H

Great start to day, thanks away team !!

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
My Sundays are usually a kids game am and a adult game pm, so, this morning was assigned to 10am an hour drive from home, with the travelling team originating from nearby me.
Aiming to be there 930 as its 4g and thats when changing rooms open anyway, plus never stayed at home last night following yesterdays match, car is packed of kit, personal over night bag etc too, so, nice 730am alarm, coffee, snack, shower, scrape car, and 815am am off
Just passed my last motorway cut off before the one I need to take, apx 9am, call from home team, away team have just been in touch to say only 8 players turned up at meeting time so they are not coming :(
Another 10 mins before I can get off motorway, and 945am I return home, actual 90 mins round trip for nothing

And yes, we know away team technically had enough players to play

More to the point, it was top v bottom and I can take an educated guess they went, nah, not for us today.

Insult to injury, I was kindly able to switch my afternoon game to fit in with my journey home and drove past my 2pm parks on my way home!!

Just a wee reminder to anybody who thinks (more outside of refereeing) that all we do is turn up, take the cash and go home....one inconsiderate teams actions can affect your whole days plans.

The Referee Store
My Sundays are usually a kids game am and a adult game pm, so, this morning was assigned to 10am an hour drive from home, with the travelling team originating from nearby me.
Aiming to be there 930 as its 4g and thats when changing rooms open anyway, plus never stayed at home last night following yesterdays match, car is packed of kit, personal over night bag etc too, so, nice 730am alarm, coffee, snack, shower, scrape car, and 815am am off
Just passed my last motorway cut off before the one I need to take, apx 9am, call from home team, away team have just been in touch to say only 8 players turned up at meeting time so they are not coming :(
Another 10 mins before I can get off motorway, and 945am I return home, actual 90 mins round trip for nothing

More to the point, it was top v bottom and I can take an educated guess they went, nah, not for us today.

Insult to injury, I was kindly able to switch my afternoon game to fit in with my journey home and drove past my 2pm parks on my way home!!

Just a wee reminder to anybody who thinks (more outside of refereeing) that all we do is turn up, take the cash and go home....one inconsiderate teams actions can affect your whole days plans.
I hate late cancellations. Weekends are organized around games, whether that be staying out of the pub the night before, or a multitude of other things you could have arranged instead. Nobody wants top versus bottom appointments either, because the games are likely to be uninteresting or cancelled!

Nobody wants top versus bottom appointments either, because the games are likely to be uninteresting or cancelled!

I do! They're usually chill games to officiate. And then one in a while you get that game where the underdog pulls off an upset.

I hate late cancellations. Weekends are organized around games, whether that be staying out of the pub the night before, or a multitude of other things you could have arranged instead. Nobody wants top versus bottom appointments either, because the games are likely to be uninteresting or cancelled!

No they are not my fav, but, its the furthest distance I can be sent in that particular league and this week was my turn. Given for once I had no plans to be supping the sauce on Sat night, I was quite happy to be appointed to go this weekend
and yes, its frustrating, esp as we enter the time of games being called off due to weather, what we don't appreciate is games being called off for, lets just say, non weather reasons !!
Had it been a weekend where that league were screaming out for refs, its then I feel the worst, as could easy have covered a game elsewhere instead.

Had a no show team today (futsal)... but then a few players came in a two mins to kick off (futsal)... I was #2 but went and gave some blasts outside the changing rooms to get them in... we started 3 mins late... after the game our assessor told us they do it every week and we should've started on time no matter how many players they had. 4th tier regional league. 2 fans. Learnt something there. They got thrashed thankfully. Still, I will know for next time.

I do! They're usually chill games to officiate. And then one in a while you get that game where the underdog pulls off an upset.

Top v bottom today in u21 league. Top team turn up with 9, bottom team 15. Final score, 10-2 to the team with 9 men. Hardly a decision to make all game bar a view offsides and the easiest penalty I'll ever have to give. Great to have an easy game once in a while

My eldest was captain for a game and scored her first goal in a match today (u7) but I was too busy whistling futsal to see it :(

Reactions: one

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me this morning.

I turned up at 0945 for a county cup quarter final fixture, that had 2 neutral assistants assigned to it too. I had received an email as I pulled up to find out one of my assistants said he had been up all night ill so wasn't coming. If he'd been up all night, could have messaged a bit earlier as may have been able to contact county for a replacement.
But nevertheless went into club house and at 1020 whilst still waiting on team sheet from away team, I was told that they have just 3 players, and a further 5 in the car park refusing to get out of it.
They said they wanted more players to come before they'd get out.
As competition rules allow 30 minutes after scheduled time, I have allowed the time to get their team/act together.
15 minutes later, 1035, away team comes in and literally says "what do I owe you, I can't be arsed with this, we're forfeiting, I'm pulling team out, I've had enough of them".
I had accepted another game for after this that was en route home so was anmoyrd that i had to bypass that ground going home and come back.
I did get paid for the first game and didn't do anything but that's not the point, especially as 2 officials had been taken off league matches to cover this game and knew full well other games were refless because of county cup duty.
I also lose out on a game towards promotion criteria which is also annoying.

I had this EXACT same thing happen to me this morning.

I turned up at 0945 for a county cup quarter final fixture, that had 2 neutral assistants assigned to it too. I had received an email as I pulled up to find out one of my assistants said he had been up all night ill so wasn't coming. If he'd been up all night, could have messaged a bit earlier as may have been able to contact county for a replacement.
But nevertheless went into club house and at 1020 whilst still waiting on team sheet from away team, I was told that they have just 3 players, and a further 5 in the car park refusing to get out of it.
They said they wanted more players to come before they'd get out.
As competition rules allow 30 minutes after scheduled time, I have allowed the time to get their team/act together.
15 minutes later, 1035, away team comes in and literally says "what do I owe you, I can't be arsed with this, we're forfeiting, I'm pulling team out, I've had enough of them".
I had accepted another game for after this that was en route home so was anmoyrd that i had to bypass that ground going home and come back.
I did get paid for the first game and didn't do anything but that's not the point, especially as 2 officials had been taken off league matches to cover this game and knew full well other games were refless because of county cup duty.
I also lose out on a game towards promotion criteria which is also annoying.

I think that was my main frustration, ok, an hour drive is not outrageous, but in that league all but this team are 30 mins max away, so this is the long distance one. And same, my afternoon league were good enough to give me "a game on the way home", I would have been there round 1230 for a 2pm, so plenty time nip to Tesco for a cuppa or so on, as it was, I drove past my 2pm park around 915am on the way home then had to leave at 1230pm again to get back there later

In your case, as for the AR emailing, unacceptable, a phone call is required, to you, and to the league who appointed him, with an email to back up the calls. Absolutely he possibly did someone else out a game, as well as scuppering your plans for the day. Am past caring about procedure to a degree (within reason) so I personally would inform the league and my ref association that I am not prepared to work with that AR again.

The county are aware of the situation.

Thing is, in hindsight, he'd have got paid got doing nothing as game wasn't done.
The other assistant said he went out night before but still came to game.

He didn't appear to be hungover. He said he never went to bed until 0630, and was up at 0915. He seemed fine and would never have thought he was out late.

We used to have a problem with this in our league especially in cup games. A D3 team would draw a Premier team and then would miraculously suffer from a bout of sickness on the day of the game preventing them from playing it, when it reality they couldn't be bothered as they knew they'd get a hammering. We now issue massive fines for this, and have even banned offending clubs from the following season's cup.

Back