A&H

Grassroots Interview

James P

Just seen the following video on Twitter, skip to 23:50.
Some want SG referees to be interviewed after games, but it seems strange for a referee to be giving interviews after a grassroots game.
Would anyone volunteer to give an interview?

The Referee Store
If did, I would steer well clear of, who was better team, if we had played another fiive mins etc....

it be, enjoyed that today, both teams did their best, penalties, well thats cup tie football

not sure I be boasting about not watching football on tv, am going to instantly have a rough stab in the dark that the select group on match of the day know the laws and can apply them a billion times better than Father Jack here, without viewing up to date matches I refuse to believe he can accurately call say offside or hamdball, two of the ever changing laws. From that snippet i can guess he will apply laws as fairly as he can but his technical application will be lacking.

doubt he has said anything to brimg the game into disrepute there.

i would have a few words post match, when dried off amd rehydrated, on my terms, but it would not make for interesting virwing at all,

I know the referee in question, he is a decent referee but somewhat unconventional and perhaps has an inflated opinion of how good he actually is.

I certainly wouldn't be doing that, pretty sure you have to get permission from your CFA to do any kind of media interview.

. From that snippet i can guess he will apply laws as fairly as he can but his technical application will be lacking.
At circa 4 mins 30 he gives a dropped ball as the ball has hit a tree branch. But the dropped ball is contested … haven’t seen one of those in a while

At circa 4 mins 30 he gives a dropped ball as the ball has hit a tree branch. But the dropped ball is contested … haven’t seen one of those in a while

Guy says he does not watch tv football He been watching Mike Dean though if he did that!

perhaps has an inflated opinion of how good he actually is
TBF, we all need something wrong with us to stick at this game for any length of time
I watched the end of the clip first. The R quite rightly lambasts TV R's for not applying the LOTG. So far so good!
So I watched the first 26 mins on fast-forward. AOL - Below Standard
Strangely, commentary refers to it as a tier 9 game? !?

Last edited:
"I made it comfortable for myself"
CRIIIIIINGE! Hate to see what your bad games are like!

Tale as old as time. Awful ref thinks he's managed the sh*t of the game when in fact he's let a match get to a dangerous level where anything goes. Bet he doesn't send the cards in either.
I've played in games like this and it's thoroughly unenjoyable. Most aggressive team wins 95% of the time!
Hang up your whistle, game is better wthout your type.

Last edited:
Having now watched more of it I am shocked. The commentator pretty much accuses the referee of cheating in favour of Wandgas the whole way through the game, even to the extent of saying he requested the game so he could influence it. The away team manager would be getting a word from me for his constant screaming for every decision and demanding cautions for almost every foul, and he would have to work very hard not to get booted to the car park.

Equally, there are poor refereeing decisions, including at least two contested drop balls which clearly are not allowed anymore. Knowing the referee I suspect he knows the law change but doesn't agree with it so will carry on doing things his way.

As an aside, I suspect the manager has absolutely zero qualifications. He just seems to have acquired the behaviours of about 10 of the top football managers and is doing any saying what he things he should be doing..

He didn't do himself any favours doing that interview. A lot of ego in it but I am sure there was a bit clever editing to highlight it. I get the feeling he doesn't give a rat's of what anyone else thinks of him anyway.

Terrible performance from everyone from what I saw! However, football is about grass roots. The overwhelming majority of football jn this country is grass roots. Yea the ref is odd, arrogant and has a far bigger belief in his ability than it would appear to be true, but football needs him, needs the manager and needs the players. It's all a bit dross, but its great.

Terrible performance from everyone from what I saw! However, football is about grass roots. The overwhelming majority of football jn this country is grass roots. Yea the ref is odd, arrogant and has a far bigger belief in his ability than it would appear to be true, but football needs him, needs the manager and needs the players. It's all a bit dross, but its great.

only saw the interview, nothing of the game

given whats typed above tho, does football really need someone who appears to have a disregard to the actual laws he is there to apply?

on the other hand, no him, no game.

This is a trend which is gradually creeping into the game due to the high j crease of social media use over the years and I hate it, I’d never dream of being interviewed after a game like this

on a side note, can the FA actively punish teams for throwing around accusations of cheating towards a referee and not only naming him, but placing video footage of him out there? I’d personally be contacting my CFA if I’d have seen myself in this situation

This is a trend which is gradually creeping into the game due to the high j crease of social media use over the years and I hate it, I’d never dream of being interviewed after a game like this

on a side note, can the FA actively punish teams for throwing around accusations of cheating towards a referee and not only naming him, but placing video footage of him out there? I’d personally be contacting my CFA if I’d have seen myself in this situation
Bit difficult that though, report a club for accusing you of bias in a video that you have done an interview in without permission. Risking landing both yourself and the club in hot water, even more so when the video shows that you are ignoring law changes. Which means either you aren't keeping up to date, or even worse you know the laws but don't like them so implement your own versions.

Bit difficult that though, report a club for accusing you of bias in a video that you have done an interview in without permission. Risking landing both yourself and the club in hot water, even more so when the video shows that you are ignoring law changes. Which means either you aren't keeping up to date, or even worse you know the laws but don't like them so implement your own versions.
Agreed but excluding the interview, is this something which the CFA would look to punish? The use of social media is more and more prevalent these days so it’s interesting to know whether clubs can make these accusations publicly when naming referees

Agreed but excluding the interview, is this something which the CFA would look to punish? The use of social media is more and more prevalent these days so it’s interesting to know whether clubs can make these accusations publicly when naming referees
I would hazard a guess that a CFA would view that as misconduct. They should do anyway.

I was recently asked (by the home team) to do a short bit to camera before I refereed a game, I declined, mainly due to not wanting to be talking to a camera!

I think I'll keep declining if I'm asked before or after a game, I think what I say would likely be used against me in some way.

I was recently asked (by the home team) to do a short bit to camera before I refereed a game, I declined, mainly due to not wanting to be talking to a camera!

I think I'll keep declining if I'm asked before or after a game, I think what I say would likely be used against me in some way.
Your CFA will probably have a rule about social media use, e.g. getting prior permission. Most do.

Back