A&H

Open Age Good to be back (I think)

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
First match back after three years yesterday morning - I think it went as well as any game I'd done before, both decent groups of lads etc.

A few niggles here and there, and I need to try and improve my recognising a foul and then blowing the whistle, I had a few little delays in between my brain firing and then whistling, but hopefully that will come back with experience.

The only issue came when an away team player, out of nowhere and in response to an obvious foul, told me to 'F off, ref' - I went through things with the captains at the beginning about dissent, sin bins and OFFINABUS - so isolated him with the captain and sent him off.

He protested that he didn't say anything, even though everyone heard it - he continued giving it some from the sideline and his teammates gave him a telling along with myself - should I have asked him to leave the vicinity of the pitch after this, I don't know?

Away team were much better and ended up winning 5-1 with 10 players for most of the game - handshakes all around at the end, and some nice comments from players - away team players agreed it was a sending off and said he was a liability at times etc. - I went over to the sent off player to shake his hand and told him no hard feelings, he refused, still maintained he'd done nothing wrong and said he was going to report me. I had to laugh a bit.

Anyway, first game back and relatively smooth going.

The Referee Store
He protested that he didn't say anything, even though everyone heard it - he continued giving it some from the sideline and his teammates gave him a telling along with myself - should I have asked him to leave the vicinity of the pitch after this, I don't know?

Yes mate. :)

Law 12 tells us: ;)👍

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

I went over to the sent off player to shake his hand and told him no hard feelings, he refused, still maintained he'd done nothing wrong and said he was going to report me. I had to laugh a bit.
All sounds good, well done having the confidence to give the red so early in your time back.

One little tip, I'd advise against initiating any contact with a sent off player post-match. There's so little to gain: if he grovels and apologises, you still have to send in the report, so why bother? And odds are he's still going to be furious, so you're essentially initiating confrontation when you don't have to - that detail won't come across well if you end up having to put in an extraordinary report. Best you can hope for is that you show the red card and then don't see the player again until the next time you're assigned to the team!

Agree with Graeme. I actually don't approach anyone after the game as you never know how people feel, win, lose or draw. I sent someone off the weekend (u18) for OFFINABUS directed at another player and the lad came up and apologised after the game. I told him I told him I understood why he done it and I have no problem with him or any other player as they are the ones on the pitch and emotion gets the better of everyone sometimes.
It is a pity as players and coaches can learn a lot from a referee after a match as we have an impartial opinion (most of the time) and see things from being right in the action.

Back