A&H

Gone to the Dark Side :)

HullRef

RefChat Addict
Last Thursday and Friday, I completed the Rugby Union equivalent of the BRC, and I have to say what an eye opener compared the the BRC, the whole structure was completely different and a lot better. I have my first adult fixture on 7th March which will be my first OA match that I will officiate in :eek:!!!!

The Referee Store
Interesting opportunity to compare the respect shown to the referees from the different sports.

How much knowledge of RFU rules did you have before doing the courses?

Thinking about trying this myself....

I had quite a good knowledge but most didn't so it isn't essential. Most people including myself have played the game too which also helps. Before you start though I must warn you that you don't get a match fee, just expenses :(

I had quite a good knowledge but most didn't so it isn't essential. Most people including myself have played the game too which also helps. Before you start though I must warn you that you don't get a match fee, just expenses :(

So who supplies the kit etc? Or do you claim that on expenses?

Seems a bit strange that.....

RS (Referee Society, RA equivalent), they gave me a kit at my first meeting. £10 membership fee per year

Reactions: SM
Let us know how this goes. Very interested.

Was doing a game yesterday where the facility also had a rugby match on at the same time. The rugby ref had a lovely pink kit! He said to me "why would you referee football? You get a dogs abuse!"

He was not wrong! :)

Last Thursday and Friday, I completed the Rugby Union equivalent of the BRC, and I have to say what an eye opener compared the the BRC, the whole structure was completely different and a lot better. I have my first adult fixture on 7th March which will be my first OA match that I will officiate in :eek:!!!!

Gives us some of the main differences, perhaps we can see how to improve the course of the mentoring.

Was doing a game yesterday where the facility also had a rugby match on at the same time. The rugby ref had a lovely pink kit! He said to me "why would you referee football? You get a dogs abuse!"

Haha I know it's just weird. I have been given a pink and purple kit to use, so much more exciting than the normal, boring black that the fa make us wear ;)

Gives us some of the main differences, perhaps we can see how to improve the course of the mentoring.
Well to start with you had to complete an online LOTG test before you did the course, this meant that most people on their knew the basic laws and so they weren't covered.

For the 1st half of day 1 the focus was solely the values and principles of rugby and the main, reasons why the referees are there, to uphold these values (Respect, enjoyment, Discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork) and we moved on to how can we maintain these values effectively (communication, letting the game flow, advantage)

Then we looked a term used in rugby refereeing "materiality", basically meaning context.
For example if you were refereeing an U7's rugby match and they kept dropping the ball you wouldn't give a knock on every time otherwise It would never let them play. So we were told more or less that we can bend the rules, so long as we stick to the core values.

Next we looked at refereeing in general. We were put in groups of about 7 and we played a strange sort of game with different rules and one person from the group was the referee, they had to referee it as best they could. Then we would stop and analyse what they did well/not so well. For example, the use of the whistle, signals, positioning and communication. Then this gradually turned into touch rugby where the rules were more or less the same as real rugby. Meaning that the skills learned in the previous game could be used in the rugby and everyone seemed a better referee for it.

Then we looked at the laws more in depth and into the interpretation at the key areas, learning a bit on law but most about managing the situations to try and get the best, most accepted outcome. Like the ruck, maul, scrum, line out, and what the tutors called the "most important law of rugby", advantage. Again looking at how we as referees could make the game more enjoyable for everyone involved, including people like spectators.

To summarise, there was barely any focus on the individual laws like I had on the football BRC. And more emphasis was placed on making the game more enjoyable.

Well I had my first match yesterday.

I was told to be there an hour before KO in a shirt and tie, even though the players were wearing jeans or shorts, I didn't feel the odd one out though because it seemed to be expected of the ref.

I got to the clubhouse and after some confusion with people thinking I was a player, I was introduced to the man from the club who was tasked by the home club to look after me, he showed me to my changing room and told me where the teams were getting changed and said if I needed anything else, just let him know.

About 5 minutes later my assessor turned up so I had a short chat with him about the match. He then gave me a microphone to wear so that he could listen to how I communicated with the players (what a great idea, might I add).

About half an hour before KO I spoke to the captains of both teams individually and asked them when they wanted me to do a boot and jewellery check, to which they both immediately stopped their teams warm ups and told them to line up for a boot check, all of whom did without moaning (very different to my football experiences).

After the other formalities we got kicked off. I spent the first 5 minutes chasing the ball like a headless chicken, trying to remember the stuff I had been taught, luckily it all came flooding back :).

I made decisions that were right and ones that were wrong. Never any arguing, only the occasional question from players which either always started or finished with "Sir". Great respect from both teams all the way through the match, little stuff like offering me a water bottle at a break in play was a nice touch.

The final score was 60-0 but the game wasn't as one sided as it sounds. At the end I got handshakes from all of the players and coaches, some players from both teams said I was the best ref they've had all season ( it was my first match so they can't have had many refs ;) ), they included me in all of the festivities like the presentation of a trophy that is award to the winner of this particular fixture.

After the match I went into the bar and was provided with free food and drinks, I had a great debrief with my assessor, again more praise and thank yous from the players.

Then today I got the assessor's report which was great, he said I had a good game and that I had "mastered the art of refereeing in one game" which I highly doubt but was nice to read.

I will definitely be carrying on with it after my first, great experience. It couldn't have gone any better :)

Reactions: SM
I suspect that your previous refereeing experience helped you 'master the art of refereeing' in this match... :)

This seems to highlight the question:

Why is there such a massive difference between the two games in how they treat the referee?

Because the Rugby authorities do not tolerate any nonsense?

Because the referees themselves don't tolerate any nonsense?

Because the public school system embraces Rugby more than football?

I think that the 4 month ban on a player for "serious dissent" answers that question quite nicely... :)

Back