A&H

Goalkeepers Shirt Colour

the walloper

Just a question regarding this;

It is in the LOTG that the keepers jersey must be a different colour from other players and match officials. Is this enforced as much elsewhere?

On the same day it is mentioned by an observer who was watching my game (both me and keeper wearing blue), I see this in the EPL.

upload_2016-12-11_9-44-12.png

Not a big issue, but just to see what the general opinion is on this, from anyone.

The Referee Store
Funny you should mention this, yesterday I was running the line and the home team were in dark blue and at distance I couldnt see the ref. At half time he put a yellow bib on which was the same as GK. Both teams were happy. But as refs we should be wearing black until they change that rule, but the general consensus with in refs I am in contact is that if one team is in dark blue it makes sense to wear a different coloured shirt so keep a spare jersey in your bag. Clashing with the GK is unfortunate but better to be more visible from 10 players.

They are told to ignore it at that level. The problem is that in most cases they will end up clashing with someone, and it's obviously better to clash with the keepers than outfield players. Looking at the photo above, they couldn't wear purple or turquoise as that would be too close to the outfield players, that only leaves yellow or black (don't know what colour the Stoke keeper was in).

In any case, it is the PGMOL / PL that team the referees and teams what colours to wear, it is all agreed way in advance of the game.

There is also a white/grey option now, the yellow wouldn't have clashed with anyone.

Yesterday Bournemouth players were wearing long sleeve black undershirts when the main colour of their short sleeves was bright yellow.

Yesterday Bournemouth players were wearing long sleeve black undershirts when the main colour of their short sleeves was bright yellow.
My understanding is this is okay now. Same as main colour or colour of hem/trim. so long as all players wear the same.

Was watching the Arsenal vs Stoke highlights this morning, Stoke's keeper was wearing all red, a slightly lighter shade than Arsenal's. If that wasn't a colour clash, nothing ever is! :confused:

Team my son played against today wore an all black kit. Shirt had single white stripe on one sleeve and shorts had a single hoop on one leg, with ref in regulation all black. :wall:

Funny you should mention this, yesterday I was running the line and the home team were in dark blue and at distance I couldnt see the ref. At half time he put a yellow bib on which was the same as GK. Both teams were happy. But as refs we should be wearing black until they change that rule, but the general consensus with in refs I am in contact is that if one team is in dark blue it makes sense to wear a different coloured shirt so keep a spare jersey in your bag. Clashing with the GK is unfortunate but better to be more visible from 10 players.
This is an absolute no no! Presuming that these refs also fail to report the teams wearing non-compliant kits?

Prime definition of "last week's ref" doing his collegues absolutely no favours whatsoever! :redcard::wall:

Last edited:
Someone once said.........'That's telly football which is a million miles from parks football'..... :bag::(

Someone once said.........'That's telly football which is a million miles from parks football'..... :bag::(

And there lies the problem, because they get away with it on the 'telly football', players think they can get away with it on 'parks' football. And I'm talking about all aspects of reffing here, not just colour clasing.

Like when Mr Rooney gets away with telling a ref to f**k off, but then we get dog's abuse if we deal the red card on Sunday morning's.

Its often hard for certain people to understand that there are different interpretations of the good book to suit the level. Whether its Premier League or the Dog and Duck its only feasibly possible to write one complete set of Laws, to do anything different is opening a can of worms that you don't want to go anywhere near as law makers. Which ones you follow to the letter and which ones you allow to slide (a bit) is up to you. Players certainly don't expect Premier League interpretations on a Parks pitch just like I assume PL players don't want a grumpy old fart like me at their level...As you rise the greasy pole you'd obviously be expected to sip from the FA furry cup, thank god I never got that thirsty!!

I'd hazard a guess that at grass roots the teams aren't paid millions of pounds to wear a certain kit, also they cannot wear black as only the referees can.

Deal with what you can deal with and forget about higher levels would be my advice. Don't wear a bib or a coloured shirt as it could get you in trouble, and potentially even suspended, and made sure that the team that are playing in black or very close to black are reported to the competition.

There is a club I referee most of the time on a Saturday morning who are FA standard chartered and the whole club from adults to u7s are all in dark blue. I normally do youth level for them but it realy only came to light on a rainy dark afternoon adult football game. In response to the bib comment I think the home team gave the ref and a youth bib. Both the captains of the team thought it was a good idea as they could not tell the difference.

I've mentioned this before but I think the law is a bit inconsistent here. It says that if both keepers are wearing the same colour, the referee should let the game go ahead but doesn't make the same provision if the colour clash is between keeper and match officials. I don't see a great deal of difference in principle, between the two scenarios.

In fact, if anything, given the relatively common situation of a goalkeeper going up for a corner late in the game and therefore the possibility of the two keepers challenging together for the ball, I would have said there is more chance of confusion from the keepers wearing the same colour shirt than there is from the keeper wearing the same colour shirt as the ref.

They are told to ignore it at that level. The problem is that in most cases they will end up clashing with someone, and it's obviously better to clash with the keepers than outfield players. Looking at the photo above, they couldn't wear purple or turquoise as that would be too close to the outfield players, that only leaves yellow or black (don't know what colour the Stoke keeper was in).

In any case, it is the PGMOL / PL that team the referees and teams what colours to wear, it is all agreed way in advance of the game.

I think I've mentioned where I stand on this previously!;)

With each team/GK having at least 3 different colours to choose from and the officials the same, there is NO excuse at this level to clash.

How this is deemed less important than under shorts or sock tape - both of which are ALWAYS correct at this level is beyond me.

With each team/GK having at least 3 different colours to choose from and the officials the same, there is NO excuse at this level to clash.

How this is deemed less important than under shorts or sock tape - both of which are ALWAYS correct at this level is beyond me.

Don't really disagree with you, but the key thing is it isn't a refereeing issue as they are told what kit to wear.

False. PL & FL teams are only required to designate 2 GK colours before the start of the season, regardless of whether they designate three for the outfield players.
As I've mentioned here before, the order for choice of colours is;
Home team
Away team
Home GK
Away GK
Referee

If all four colours of PGMO are taken, the referee is to clash with one of the GK's.

In the PL, colours are set out in the build up to the game, and only if the referee on the day deems a colour clash, would anything change. I recall Howard Webb & team changing one game when it was felt on the day his colour shirt was too similar to one of the team's, so he changed.

Spookily, the FA have today asked the County FAs to see if there is a desire for referees to wear coloured kits. To this end, I have just received a questionnaire and will be confirming my agreement with the proposed change.

Spookily, the FA have today asked the County FAs to see if there is a desire for referees to wear coloured kits. To this end, I have just received a questionnaire and will be confirming my agreement with the proposed change.
I've just been sent the same questionnaire and have registered my major opposition to the change as well as I could. I don't see the benefit of making referees buy more and more equipment and I worry that it could easily put off new referees who's "starting cost" will jump by at least £50 per additional colour.

Restricting black to referees is a good compromise and should be enforced at the highest level possible, not wound back further down.

Back