A&H

Goalkeeper has ball in his hands releases the ball and kicks but it hits opposing player,,,

newref

The goalkeeper has the ball in his hands and releases the ball out of his hands into the air and kicks it. The ball hits the opposing player who is running from behind but has not challenged the goalkeeper nor stopped him from releasing the ball in any way. Is the opposing player guilty or is this a blunder from the goalkeeper and hence you allow play continue? Any clear explanation on this according to the laws?

The Referee Store
So the attacker has come from behind the gk and run across in front of him?
Not run across him because that would be impeding I'd say. More like attacker runs from behind in a straight line and the goalkeeper kicks the ball and the ball hits the attacker at which point he is only 2 yards away from where goalkeeper kicked it. Would this be an infringement or does play continue?

Why do you think the opponent chose to run right in front of the GK who was punting the ball? Of course he was deliberately interfering with the GK's release of the ball and hoping the R wouldn't be smart enough to realize that's what he was doing.

Not run across him because that would be impeding I'd say. More like attacker runs from behind in a straight line and the goalkeeper kicks the ball and the ball hits the attacker at which point he is only 2 yards away from where goalkeeper kicked it. Would this be an infringement or does play continue?
That's fine but the attacker has not changed direction or challenged to make a block, so according to the laws of the game what should you do? I'm looking for an explanation through evidence in the laws.

That's fine but the attacker has not changed direction or challenged to make a block, so according to the laws of the game what should you do? I'm looking for an explanation through evidence in the laws.

I think it comes down to distance. How close was he to the keeper? Clearly, he didn't stop the keeper releasing the ball or try to kick it from his hands, so can you justify an IDFK for playing in a dangerous manner? If he's close enough it can do damage, then you'd be well within your rights to penalise him and have a word that he needs to be a bit more careful.

If there's enough distance between them and enough time that the keeper should clock on that the player is running in front of him, then play on.

It's all depends on whether you think the player intentionally blocked the keepers kick. If you believe he did then free kick, if you think he was simply retreating then play on.

This is a YHTBT. I need to see this to know if the attacker disguised his actions to blame it on the keeper. 9 out 10 when this happens, its the attacker who is being clever to block the shot or limit the keeper from how he can release the ball. It is done deliberately and he doesn't have to be looking at the keeper or chasing him for it to be deliberate. Its hard to picture it. Keepers normally punt the ball forward with a very small angle. If the attacker is coming from behind, he can see this and knows getting in front of the keeper would block his punt.

Let's see... has the player done any of these in a careless or reckless manner, or with excessive force:
• charges
• jumps at
• kicks or attempts to kick
• pushes
• strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
• tackles or challenges
• trips or attempts to trip

...No.

Has the player committed any of these:
• a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
• holds an opponent
• impedes an opponent with contact
• bites or spits at someone
• throws an object at the ball, an opponent or a match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

...No, still good.

Has the player committed any of these:
• plays in a dangerous manner
• impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made
• is guilty of dissent, using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures or other verbal offences
• prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
• commits any other offence, not mentioned in the Laws, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

Hmm... he hasn't prevented the GK from releasing it, nor has he attempted to kick the ball while the GK is releasing it. If he's close enough for the GK to potentially kick him on the follow-through, then that would sound like playing in a dangerous manner. However, as the OP states that it's the ball that has hit the player, I read that as meaning he's far enough away that that's not part of the equation. GK should learn to be more aware of his surroundings.

Back