A&H

Goalkeeper handball in the area

IJH13

If a goalkeeper handballs in the area, say from a pass back, and denies an obvious goal is it a yellow card?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Sounds like an Indirect Free kick. A pass back would not naturally be an obvious goal scoring opportunity

Yeah thanks, my point was DOG or DOGSO. I suppose if it's not stated specifically in law then it must be an IDFK and seemingly no card at all.

Yeah thanks, my point was DOG or DOGSO. I suppose if it's not stated specifically in law then it must be an IDFK and seemingly no card at all.
It is specifically stated in law - that's what those screenshots by afronaut81 and RustyRef are. Goalkeeper handling offences inside the penalty area are penalised by an IFK, and nothing more.

Don’t t get bogged down in the DOGSO thought process. That’s aimed at attacking plays.

Your scenario is an “own goal scoring opportunity” which isn’t what the law is about. It’s a defensive play and defending side’s error if it happens.

Don’t t get bogged down in the DOGSO thought process. That’s aimed at attacking plays.

Your scenario is an “own goal scoring opportunity” which isn’t what the law is about. It’s a defensive play and defending side’s error if it happens.

Disagree with this analysis. If a defender (not the GK) handles the ball to prevent an own goal from entering, it’s still a send off. It is denying the opposing team a goal. As others have posted, the Laws give an exemption to the keeper from misconduct on the GK-only offenses.

Just to clarify, if a defender passes to the keeper and mishits it such that it is going in, and the keeper tips it round the post, that is an IFK for handball? (With no yellow card). Have to admit, I thought the keeper had to bring the ball under control for it to be an IFK?

Just to clarify, if a defender passes to the keeper and mishits it such that it is going in, and the keeper tips it round the post, that is an IFK for handball? (With no yellow card). Have to admit, I thought the keeper had to bring the ball under control for it to be an IFK?

As for the second part of the question, no, controlling the ball has nothing to do with the offense. The offense is simply handling the ball.

As for the first part, that can be a bit trickier. I'm going to want to be 100% sure it was a pass (with the foot!) to the GK, and not a crappy attempt to just play the ball away. The worse the mis-hit, the less likely I'm going to be 100% confident. But if it's clearly a kicked pass to the GK that is going to get by and the GK pushes it away with a hand, yes, it would be an IFK.

(I actually called my first back pass in a very long time last week. 14U GK makes a great play to block a shot on a breakaway and is scrambling for the ball. defender is running to help her. I'm screaming in my head "No! Don't do it!" But the defender very helpfully kicked the ball back a yard to the GK who fell on it. Sigh. IFK on the GA line and all the headaches that come with that. Attacking team did not score on the IFK.)

The law is very clear on this. Any "touch" by hand/arm counts.

1574719612286.png

Many thanks, that’s great advice. I had to give an IFK myself recently in an U18 game for a clear pass back and pick up, but within seconds the attacker had put the ball down, passed to a team mate who slotted it in, I had no reason to disallow it and it saved 5 minutes of faffing about!

Many thanks, that’s great advice. I had to give an IFK myself recently in an U18 game for a clear pass back and pick up, but within seconds the attacker had put the ball down, passed to a team mate who slotted it in, I had no reason to disallow it and it saved 5 minutes of faffing about!

I'm not a fan of recommending misconduct, but if I'm the GK, I'm not letting go of that ball to permit a quick kick . . .

I'm not a fan of recommending misconduct, but if I'm the GK, I'm not letting go of that ball to permit a quick kick . . .
I don’t think the GK will do it again! If he marches toward me with the ball in his hands asking for an explanation I don’t think I would consider it misconduct.

Taking one for the team is an accepted part of the game and the decision/sanction by the referee doesn't take much selling either with both teams walking away satisfied. Win-Win all around in most cases.

Also, if the GK attempts to clear a back pass but mid-kicks it, or misses it altogether (genuinely), are they then allowed to handle it? I’m sure I read somewhere that it is permitted but can’t find it in the laws

Also, if the GK attempts to clear a back pass but mid-kicks it, or misses it altogether (genuinely), are they then allowed to handle it? I’m sure I read somewhere that it is permitted but can’t find it in the laws
Just look up 3 posts between the highlighted texts. :)

Ok not 3 posts but 5 posts (better not give @Kes an excuse to find faults with my posts)

Back