A&H

Goal or No Goal?

The Referee Store
Embarrassment. We can only hope the ref had his back to it - never a goal.

I read on a forum that the referee apologised to his assistants at half time as he'd realised he got it wrong, that from a friend of the assistant apparently. Referee had run off, assistant was beginning to advance up the pitch. This was missed.

You would have hoped that either the ref or the assistant would have spotted that. A salutary lesson in not turning your back on play !

Certainly not a goal.

I read on a forum that the referee apologised to his assistants at half time as he'd realised he got it wrong, that from a friend of the assistant apparently. Referee had run off, assistant was beginning to advance up the pitch. This was missed.

Not sure if you watched the whole video but the goalkeeper said in interview exactly what you read on the other forum.

Ahh there you go then :) Obviously it's a bit of an embarrassing mistake to make, but he had the balls to admit he was incorrect. I dont know the details of the game, but I do hope that this didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Ahh there you go then :) Obviously it's a bit of an embarrassing mistake to make, but he had the balls to admit he was incorrect. I dont know the details of the game, but I do hope that this didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Oh it definitely did, was 0-0 at the time in the top Northern Irish cup competition, and finished 2-0.

Perfect lesson why you never, never, never, turn your back on play no matter how safe it appears to be.

Reactions: DB
Just shows you that even FIFA officials and 4 pairs of 'mic'd up' eyes still don't get it right all the time. Makes me feel better for all my balls ups!

Reactions: DB
Oh it definitely did, was 0-0 at the time in the top Northern Irish cup competition, and finished 2-0.

Perfect lesson why you never, never, never, turn your back on play no matter how safe it appears to be.
Whoopsy!

You would have hoped that either the ref or the assistant would have spotted that. A salutary lesson in not turning your back on play !
Ref I could just about understand - lots of players between him and the ball and anything else could have happened off the ball to distract his attention. But there's no way the assistant should be missing that IMO.

Restart with a direct free kick, though I have some qualms about that. This situation surely cannot activate the 'preventing goalkeeper from releasing the ball' clause, which is to do with playing the ball/intent.

Restart is an IFK - it is preventing the keeper from releasing the ball because if it's been knocked out of his hands, then he can't release it.

The referee - well, he does need to run upfield. You need to balance that with keeping an eye on players around the keeper, but he does need to move - with neutral AR's that shouldn't be a problem. He probably should have taken a few moments until the attackers were clear from the keeper. I can understand the referee having his back turned, but the 2 AR's failed him. Near AR - checking the keeper over the line is one of his jobs, as well as backplay. Far AR needs to be constantly scanning the field so unless he had a pressing matter, he should also have seen it. I'm kind of thinking it's more understanding for the ref to miss this than the AR's....

Backwards running is included in the assessment sheet for a reason, -Good use of ‘backwards’ running to keep good overview - the ref is a top FIFA official not doing the basics right and cost the team a goal. NO EXCUSES, official ARs mics and buzzer flegs (not a spelling mistake just how we roll in Norn Iron!). Total **** up by the team and yes respect for admitting it.

I stand corrected here. The law (12.2.3, page 82) covers the deliberate attempt to kick the ball when in the goalkeeper's possession, in addition to all other scenarios where he/she is prevented from releasing it (mainly impedance, I guess): IDFK. The physical contact here clears that up, however: DFK.

I stand corrected here. The law (12.2.3, page 82) covers the deliberate attempt to kick the ball when in the goalkeeper's possession, in addition to all other scenarios where he/she is prevented from releasing it (mainly impedance, I guess): IDFK.
I've been told that the challenge when only hitting the ball (no contact) is considered to be "playing in a dangerous manner"...

To be honest, not like it really matters at the end of the day... :)

how's about if an attacker running from behind the goalkeeper as he's about to drop kick the ball from hands, and diverts his path to run across the kick? no contact but clearly affects how the keeper kicks it?

Yes, that's fair to say, although here the attacker surely isn't playing in a dangerous manner. He simply bumps the keeper and dislodges the ball.
For Richard's scenario, that sounds like a textbook IDFK.

In truth I can't find any sympathy for the goalkeeper here. Reading the above posts, I was expecting a clear and obvious attempt by an attacker to dislodge the ball; Gary Crosby, or Thierry Henry style.

It's not - any touch is minimal and after several views looks much more like a drop by the goalkeeper as an attempt to illegally dislodge it. As for the shocking comment, yes, that was my reaction Mr Keeper as you just stood there and didn't even attempt to reclaim the ball. Shocking indeed!

As for the referee apologising at half time, I doubt he would have seen the TV at that point, so I can imagine the conversation running along these lines:

"He knocked the ball out of my hands!"
"He did? I'm sorry I missed that. I've dropped one. In that case it should have been a free kick to you."

Back