A&H

Goal line tech

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Sorry if this has been raised before, but with the FA cup now upon us, and the big teams in, it does not sit easy with me that goal line tech is used where avail, i.e 2 EPL teams v each other or EPL team at home, example today, Fleetwood could score a goal which is missed by the officials, game finishes 0-0 then Leicester win the replay 1-0 with a goal verified by hawkeye. Ultimately then the reason Leicester would progress is not because they scored, but because an electrical system says that they did
Surely all the games in the same round should be treated the same, and yes I understand if tech is avail thrn use it, but it has to be equal across the board.
I dont see Wimbledon turning off thir hawkeye for certain games but not others

The Referee Store
We'll have this same scenario in Scotland soon if we do introduce goal line technology as not all teams will be able to afford it. I suppose the same answer for the FA Cup would need to be considered here too.

in Scotland, with the cost to install v the rewards, its nowhere near viable.
With due respect to Hibs not scoring in two games v Hearts that I can recall, yes its annoying but its not worth 300,000 per goal.
Kilmarnock, Hamilton etc simply cant do that, and say St mirren were promoted and had to install it and then get relegated.
It would be the all seater SPL rule all over again.
Rangers cant pay their dues from five years ago nevermind current expenses

I can see it being used at at Parkhead for european games and I suppose Hampden might need it,but thats about it

Same with the trial of the VAR in one game this round and only one of the league cup semi finals

and the nottingham forrest arsenal game showed the possible flaws with var, 7 replays and still no conclusive decision

Goal line is def the future but its kind of far away from being adopted anywhere soon below top level leagues. Just not efficient :sorry:

As indicated in other posts it's all about cost and I can appreciate it's a lot of money which lower league clubs feel could be better spent. Any idea of the current costs? When it was introduced I recall £150-200k installation cost with £20-30k for annual calibration and maintenance.

Good article here: http://www.football365.com/news/footballs-nightmarish-future-starts-tonight

Of course J Nich and F365 are pretty sound IMHO. But overall, the media have rather brought this about by sensationalising referee "mistakes" for years.

I agree with the two tier point, not only because the top tier will have the tech. It also means that refs will ref differently in the top tier. It is only natural that they will hedge certain decision when they know they have the VAR to back them. And this is bound to adversely affect our match control at grassroots.

Re VAR - Interesting thoughts in last Saturday's Racing Post.

Most is opinions but comments from Didi Hamann stood out for me. He's seen it in action in Bundseliga and is dead against it.

'Wrong' decsions still made by VAR and far from cutting out dissent it has increased it as players want every incident viewed by VAR and make TV signs at the refs in every game!

The other point that alarmed me and this may be complete nonsense but if true seems odd - Dan Walker today BBC Breakfast) said VAR (and technical assistant) for all games would be based in............Uxbridge! (PL headquarters) - Anyone else heard this?

It said in an article about today’s game that the VAR would be at PGMOL HQ.

Makes sense, as long as the ref can talk to the var it doesn’t matter where they are.

And, having them in a separate location means that they won’t be subject to match day pressure like whinging players and managers etc

Its a huge can of worms. The VAR would need to be proved to be in a locked room with no means of communication with anyone other than the match referee to please any conspiracy theories, or the mental image of the VAR boss, or someone similar shaking head or giving thumbs up through a window. The VAR seeing something but knowing, for example, Ellery or Mike Reilly were sitting next door about to rip them a new one for getting something wrong even after review is frightening. The one consolation we have as the game is at the moment is, the referee either see's something, calls it right or wrong, or does not see it. Who knows now how many folk and exactly who, are going to have an influence.
Who is to say, Reilly being the boss gives a thumbs up or indeed down to a red card incident after Marriner misses it yet Swarbrick tonight spots it on tv?
Let the fun and games begin

Its a huge can of worms. The VAR would need to be proved to be in a locked room with no means of communication with anyone other than the match referee to please any conspiracy theories, or the mental image of the VAR boss, or someone similar shaking head or giving thumbs up through a window. The VAR seeing something but knowing, for example, Ellery or Mike Reilly were sitting next door about to rip them a new one for getting something wrong even after review is frightening. The one consolation we have as the game is at the moment is, the referee either see's something, calls it right or wrong, or does not see it. Who knows now how many folk and exactly who, are going to have an influence.
Who is to say, Reilly being the boss gives a thumbs up or indeed down to a red card incident after Marriner misses it yet Swarbrick tonight spots it on tv?
Let the fun and games begin

Valid concerns, but how far do we go in proving that the VAR is “independent”?

Did other sports turn the introduction of VARs into such a hoo-ha?

It’s getting trialled, and we’ll see how it pans out.

Apparently any players making the tv sign etc will be cautioned, as will any who approach the area where the ref will review the tv.

Valid concerns, but how far do we go in proving that the VAR is “independent”?

Did other sports turn the introduction of VARs into such a hoo-ha?

It’s getting trialled, and we’ll see how it pans out.

Apparently any players making the tv sign etc will be cautioned, as will any who approach the area where the ref will review the tv.

As you see lets see how it pans out, but given how much dissent goes unpunished currently, I'll be amazed if players are cautioned as you describe with any sort of regularity.

I'm concerned that I've seen plenty of negative reports from people who HAVE seen how its panned out so far in Australia and Germany.

Plus the few incidents I have seen haven't filled me with any great confidence that this will benefit the game.

All I know from experience of other sports is I was at a game where 3 times the VAR was called upon to call a try/no try..

All 3 were given as tries

When I got home, i thought ok, 1 def is 1 maybe and 1 is def not, and thats after watching it again

The overall take from match reports in the press etc the next day was 2 were tries and 1 was def not

I look forward to a Celtic Rangers game being decided not merely by a wrong pen call by 1 poor man in the middle, but, by someone sitting independant in a van in Stirling !

So it seems the trial went ok, although apparently they didn’t look at a particular camera angle on the possible hand ball.

I was trying to fix my computer at the time so haven’t seen the incident.

I assume that the VAR has Access to all the camera angles, so I would be asking why, if this particular angle wasn’t checked, why not.

But teething problems are to be expected at this stage.

mike riley has just been interview sitting in front of the screens, he said they did reveiw the goal, but the boss sitting next to the var is a concern for me

From the BBC:

It looked as if it was not used, even when Eagles players claimed Glenn Murray handled for the winner.

But the only reason it was not engaged was because there were no 'clear and obvious errors' made by referee Andre Marriner.

He actually consulted with video referee Neil Swarbrick 11 times during the match, to check no mistakes had been made.

Back