A&H

Goal kick

Reuben Watt

Heya,
A goalie took a goal kick and it didn't leave the penalty area on the three sides but it left the field of play. What should I have given? I gave a corner as it technically did leave the penalty area

The Referee Store
Heya,
A goalie took a goal kick and it didn't leave the penalty area on the three sides but it left the field of play. What should I have given? I gave a corner as it technically did leave the penalty area
Although it did leave the penalty area it never went into play. You don't change the restart if the ball does not go into play (with the exception of a penalty in some circumstances). So retake is the only option.

Heya,

How did they manage that?

This was the subject of a question in the FIFA Q&A in 2006 as follows:
A player takes a goal kick and the ball passes over the goal line without having passed out of the penalty area. What action does the referee take?
The goal kick is retaken.
There has been no change in Law 16 nor any new guideline or interpretation issued since, that would invalidate that response as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
Back