A&H

GK penalty position

lesbobly

OK please treat me gently - post # 1

Revising my LOTG - got the new “changes” - GK penalty position being one of them - so I read original and read the changes - my poor English is really struggling to A see the change but B more importantly fully understand “it”

I get and agree with the spirit says two feet on or above line … but why does wording consistently only mention “one foot” - so we all know where “one foot” should be but it appears to completely dismiss where the second foot should be … or am I seriously messed up with my English comprehension ???

It’s driving me bonkers - the wording - not the the actual expectation or spirit …

The Referee Store
Welcome!
The text is not clear, but the explanation in the Law Changes for 2022/2023 helps us to understand the thinking - previously the goalkeeper could move one foot in front of the line, but had to have the other foot on or above it.
Thst meant that if the back foot was behind tbe line, the goalkeeper could be penalised, which was never the intention.
Allow one foot in front, the other foot on, above or behind the line.

Ok - got that thank you - so for clarity the “spirit” of the law - BOTH feet on/above the line is just a nod to the actual LOTG which is not the same (one foot can indeed be in front) - I can certainly see that this would lead to inconsistency - playing to either “spirit” or “strict” LOTG (as per your answer) - which I am going with :) (one foot in front is Ok)

Ok - got that thank you - so for clarity the “spirit” of the law - BOTH feet on/above the line is just a nod to the actual LOTG which is not the same (one foot can indeed be in front) - I can certainly see that this would lead to inconsistency - playing to either “spirit” or “strict” LOTG (as per your answer) - which I am going with :) (one foot in front is Ok)
You have missed another change which I think was 2018-2019. Prior to that both feet had to be on the line. That change specifically only required one foot to be on or above the line with the other foot not specified, meaning it can be anywhere. The change this year is that the specified foot can also be behind the line, with still no requirement for the second foot.

You have missed another change which I think was 2018-2019. Prior to that both feet had to be on the line. That change specifically only required one foot to be on or above the line with the other foot not specified, meaning it can be anywhere. The change this year is that the specified foot can also be behind the line, with still no requirement for the second foot.
Yes, that change occurred in July 2019. Having refereed for 30 years with the "both feet on the line" version in place, the change was welcome as most referees had begun to ignore the "both feet" requirement.
I remember it being mentioned in a pre-season briefing to professional clubs in the early 2000's and the Southampton first team goalkeeper saying publicly that he could foresee a lot of goalkeepers breaking their legs if it was enforced 🤔!

Thanks for replies - that’s definitely cleared the question for me - go with “The Law and ignore the spirit” (makes me wonder why the authors bother to confuse) - but all sorted … working on question #3 :)

Thanks for replies - that’s definitely cleared the question for me - go with “The Law and ignore the spirit” (makes me wonder why the authors bother to confuse) - but all sorted … working on question #3 :)
The more you read the Laws carefully, the more you will wonder at the written communication skills of our friends in IFAB . . .

The more you read the Laws carefully, the more you will wonder at the written communication skills of our friends in IFAB . . .
Well, I’ve just received my hard copy of new LOTG - I’m guessing that reading it will not improve my comprehension, hopefully it will my knowledge…

Back