A&H

GK Handball in the Middle of the Pitch

The Referee Store
Link denied for me too but is this the Nashville vs Atlanta in the MLS? I saw it this morning somewhere else.

GK clearly knows what he is doing (hands up by his neck/head and stops it with both hands if I remember rightly) but it is a LONG way out.
Only red if you consider it DOGSO. I don't think the tracking defenders would have got back in time but tbh a key word in the offence is 'Obvious' so if the ref doesn't deem it worthy then perhaps it wasn't so obvious.

On 9.00 minutes

Tough one. Sitting here typing I'd like to say I'd send him off. Obvious enough, I'm fairly sure it's Heading for goal, but also football expects, fairness and all that. Being in the middle is a different story though.

I can see why VAR didn't get involved and I wouldn't expect him to unless he has a hawk eye ball tracker.

Edit: thinking about it again this can't be considered as DOGSO as it is not an 'opportunity' that is denied. It's is either denying a 'goal' or it is not.

Last edited:
To me that’s lacking the ‘obvious’ element. Can’t help wondering how many of the comments I favour of red are based on it being deliberate handball by the goalkeeper. Another of those misnomers like ‘last man’

Reactions: JH
It feels morally wrong but I’d say yellow. It’s impossible to know whether that was heading in or not

Reactions: JH
Only a referee could concoct a yellow card outta that. Not this whistle blower however :redcard:
Good luck to you Lemon Lovers when it comes to MC with an Inner-City Sunday League game

Last edited:
You have to be sure that the shot is on target and will reach the target to go DOGSO. Realistically the only chance the referee has to accurately rule on that is if they are directly behind the kicker, but even then it is difficult.

Reactions: ARF
You have to be sure that the shot is on target and will reach the target to go DOGSO. Realistically the only chance the referee has to accurately rule on that is if they are directly behind the kicker, but even then it is difficult.

Nitpick: it would be DOG, not DOGSO.

Everyone is getting this wrong on twitter, I wish I had the energy to reply and correct them all.

Where does it say all this 'stuff' in the book btw?
Semantics with words like 'opportunity'
If I'm reffing, I can confidently say that I had a great angle on that 'opportunity' and it was going in
I will have a game that goes into meltdown at some point on my refereeing travels, but this nonsense won't be the cause

Last edited:
If I'm reffing, I can confidently say that I had a great angle on that 'opportunity' and it was going in
I will have a game that goes into meltdown at some point on my refereeing travels, but this nonsense won't be the cause

So you would guess on a red card? I agree his actions were wrong, but unless it was going in it can't be a red card.

Maybe that's why Howard Webb refereed a World Cup Final..

The LOTG specifically mentions 'denying a goal' with relation to handball.

Once the shot is taken, it is no longer a goalscoring opportunity. It is going to be a goal, or it is not.

The only question is: 'will the ball definitely enter the goal without the HB offence?'

As we cannot be 100% sure in this instance, we cannot give a red card.

Had the player dribbled past the GK and been tripped - then we would have to assess DOGSO criteria.

Back