A&H

getting the correct tone on your whistle

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Hi everyone at the moment I'm a novice with my whistle now I'm trying to learn the professional way by using the tongue technique can anyone do it by showing me in a diagram thanx craig

The Referee Store
What whistle are you using? It'll be kinda difficult to draw you a diagram, well for me it would anyway! :)

Although this video may help

Video works ok on my iPhone. Hmmmm!
Video basically suggests using your tongue to block the whistke, then as you blow move your tongue away. That way you get a short, sharp blast!

Not sure if I am able to explain literaly how to blow the whistle, all I can say is that you need to put some feeling into it with a Fox 40!

I can offer you some advice on the noise of the whistle though?

When wistling for the teams to get ready for Kick off/whistling for the kick off, then a full blast hard as you can whislte for about a secvond will do. The same goes for the very first foul of the match, a loud whistle on the first foul commands respect/authority. For normal foulsa short 'medium loudness' blast will do. Use a higher blast for bookable fouls and a full wack whistle for red card offences. If you are dealing with a match brawl, then a few short but loud blasts had decent effect. If you need toi whistle for a corner/goal kick/throw in then I would use a lower sounding but longer whistle. If you are stopping the game for injury/sub/speaking to assistant/sanctioning a player after and advantage. Whisteling for offside, a medium loudness longer whistle will do. Blowing up for full time, then three medium blows aas loud as you can!

Varying your whistle technique will give you more control, and better communication and assessors love it!

Good luck :)

Back