A&H

Getting players to listen.

S

Sam Neal

Sometimes, say if a careless tackle goes in and I need a quick word with the player I feel as though when I call them over, I feel as though they aren't listening to me.

Any tips on getting players to really listen to you, when you need a quick chat?

The Referee Store
If they have come over and aren't talking or moaning, that is as close to listening as your going to get in most instances!

Can help sometimes to involve the captain at these chats. As long as you have made your point, he has no grounds to complain if he does it again.

Don't worry; just have a word on the run-by. They'll have heard you and whether they listen or not is their problem, not yours.

Yup, if it's a first one, or early on, then I have a word as I jog past - sometimes use a raised finger. A simple 'take it easy please fella' or 'Calm down a bit' depending on the situation.

He might not acknowledge it, but he will have heard it.

More serious and I will get his intention first and make sure he is looking at me.

Final talking to and he gets called over, and given a public talking to. 'Stand up and listen to me please' if he's one of those that bends over and adjusts shin pads in front of you...

As long as you say it, it is their fault if they do not listen. One thing that is guaranteed though, if you say "You're playing like a tw@" they will have heard that. As will the rest of their team and anyone associated withe their team - come referee misconduct time.;)

Since when can't we say that Mick? Guess I should stop now then, or why kill a habit of a lifetime... :D

When a quiet word is needed then you just have to saying without necessarily getting a reaction to be successful. However this changes when you need to isolate a player fully and publicly lay a serious warning down on him then it becomes a different dynamic.

If they are not going to respect the fact that you are sternly warning them in this instance, which is quite common for younger players, then I find it sometimes helps to be a D*ickhead. You can tell when this is necessary when they are looking away at another player they've clashed with or pretending to fix their sock or walking slightly away something. These are usually telling signs of when your authority is being undermined.

For example, if they aren't taking anything in or even acknowledging you then raise your voice and say something like "Are you listening?" Or "Look at me!" Before continuing your point. It may then be a good idea to engage them at the end by asking if they understand you or if they were listening. That way you're sure to get a response and it will be clear not only to the player but to everyone on and off the pitch watching who was in charge of the conversation. Remember a public warning isn't just for the player, it is and example for everyone else involved with either team of what you will not tolerate.

Make a point of stopping, blow your whistle, shouting at him to come to you - he can be of no doubt that you're talking to him if you have to hold the game up. I saw one in the Premier League the other week when the ref was just going to chat to the player, but because he didn't come over to him he got a yellow card. I'd recommend that.

Back