A&H

Get 'em off

Mick.

RefChat Addict
Ran the line for the first time today and had a couple of incidents I just want clarification over. There were a couple of times when one of the players (not the same one!) went down with an injury of some kind. Ref spoke with the player and then the phsyio (or at least someone with a can of spray) came on. The player then received treatment and the game continued. On one occasion the goalie went down. After being treated the goalie was told to go off the field and could rejoin when play resumed. The ref (a level 5) accepted afterwards that the goalie shouldn't have left the field and he made a mistake. I said that I was under the impression that any player who was to received treatment should leave the field to get that treatment. The ref and other AR (both level 5) told me that no, the player could receive treatment on the field but afterwards would have to leave and then rejoin later. Have I got it wrong? Or have the more experienced refs misinterpreted the law? Surely it makes more sense for the injured player to get off the field to receive treatment than be treated and then made to leave the field?
Who is right?

The Referee Store
A goalkeeper does not have to leave the filed off play after getting treatment.

Also if two players from the same team go down injured and get treatment they do not have to leave the filed off play as it is deemed as a unfair advantage.

From experience I do try to get the player of the pitch to get treatment but it depends on the injury weather or not you can ask him to get treated off the pitch.

Players will always get treatment on the field, it's managing it and getting them off when it's taking a more tan 10-20 seconds or what ever your tolerance or level of injury. I'm equally under the impression that any player that has a physio on to receive treatment has to leave the FoP, other than a Goalkeeper.

How a level 5 would have told a goalie to leave beyond me. But then we all have our brain fart moments I guess.

Matty, in fairness when I joined him after the final whistle, the first thing he said was that he thought that he had made a mistake with the goalie. I've just had a look at the LOTG and it clearly states under Law 5 (interpretation)
The referee must adhere to the following procedure when dealing with injured

players:

• the referee must ensure an injured player is safely removed from the

field of play

• a player is not allowed to receive treatment on the

field of play

This would suggest to me that as soon as the physio comes on the player is going off.

This would suggest to me that as soon as the physio comes on the player is going off, although I accept that there are exceptions (sorry about the font changes, having problems.)

Matty, in fairness when I joined him after the final whistle, the first thing he said was that he thought that he had made a mistake with the goalie. I've just had a look at the LOTG and it clearly states under Law 5 (interpretation)
The referee must adhere to the following procedure when dealing with injured

players:

• the referee must ensure an injured player is safely removed from the

field of play

• a player is not allowed to receive treatment on the

field of play

This would suggest to me that as soon as the physio comes on the player is going off.

This would suggest to me that as soon as the physio comes on the player is going off, although I accept that there are exceptions (sorry about the font changes, having problems.)
Correct, however. It is not always practical, and sometimes, getting them off the pitch takes more time / makes more problems than letting them be treated on the pitch quickly and then leave. As someone above said, its about managing the situation, and using some common sense as well. What wee need to remember is that we are referees and not medical professionals, so we must be caution in how we deal with injuries.

I think Reffariiii has put it perfectly. I am also very surprsied that a level 5 referee has asked the goalkeeper to leave the field of play.

You need to allow enough time for the physio to assess the injury. This includes cleaning it with water in case of a break in the skin, this is still part of the assessment of the injury and not treatment. Whilst treatment should by law be carried out off the FOP are you as the referee going to make someone with a broken leg be moved off the FOP before allowing them treatment? I know i'm not.
In my games anyone who has the physio on will be going off the FOP before being allowed back on excluding the Goalkeeper or if two players from the same team.

Considering the above, how would you deal with two players from one side and one player from the other receiving assessment for treatment. Seeing as both from one side can't go off would you leave the other player to stay on also?

As two players from the same team are involved you wouldnt make any players leave the FOP, as the team whos one player was injured would be disadvantaged by having them leave.

Back