A&H

Germany vs Cameroon - Another VAR goof up

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
There has just been a total mess in Germany vs Cameroon. The Cameroon number 2 made a bad foul, for which the number 15 was cautioned. The referee then comes over to the screen, so everyone assumed it was to correct the mistaken identity, he runs back over, makes the TV sign, then shows the 15 a straight red. So he was being told that the challenge was SFP rather than reckless. Quite how the referee and the VAR can't see that it is the wrong player is beyond me.

After a further delay he comes over to the screen again, and after this sends off the number 2, and seemingly rescinded both the yellow and the red that the number 15 has received.

Strikes me very much a classic case of technology only being as good as the people using it ......

The Referee Store
This is getting embarrassing, you could accept one or two errors during the trailing of the system at the Confederation's Cup, but it seems like every time it's being used there is some kind of controversy. It cased nothing but confusion for the fans, the players, the coaches and most importantly the referees. Absolutely shambolic!

The basic question - has anybody had trading on the process, as it looks like kids at Christmas with a new toy and no instructions!

Mess, mess mess, scrap this stupidity now..... I can't find a good word for this version of it...

From the experience of this tournament, VAR is very much a work in progress. The whole system needs some consideration before it can be rolled out into regular use.

Its embarrassing that they are finding it so hard to make the correct call based on a TV replay, especially something as simple as getting the correct player.

Its embarrassing that they are finding it so hard to make the correct call based on a TV replay, especially something as simple as getting the correct player.

100%. The fact the VAR was introduced to reduce the number of 'mistakes' a referee makes is embarrassing that even worse 'mistakes' are being made.

Its been made worse by the commentators who really don't seem to have a clue.

In same match Germany player beat offside trap perfectly by holding his run in his own half until ball was played.

However, AR incorrectly raised his flag. Up pops Glenn Hoddle with 'We need the video ref to step in there'.

Clive Tyldesley, correctly for once, replied ' How would that help? You can hardly go back and give the attacker a free run at goal'

Back comes Mr Hoddle - 'But would we be saying that if this was the World Cup final?' Erm, yes Glenn we would , because you can't correct an incorrectly raised flag, technology or no technology, in ANY match!

Clive T, who having read the laws now sees himself , incorrectly, as an expert on them - he often misquotes the laws!, did say on a previous commentary, a sentiment I do agree with ' People have to accept that referees make mistakes.Technology MAY be able to correct some, but if you expect it to correct them all, you are a) living in dreamland and b) every match will take 4 1/2 hours.

I was watching the match recorded, so could check and in OP example from foul to play being restarted took 4 minutes!

Despite there being goal celebrations, an injury requiring treatment and at least 4 subs in that half referee only added on 4 mins - so we are losing game time with technology as well as all the other shortcomings. Lets stick with goal line technology only.

Back