A&H

Geoff Etherington

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Just caught up last night with the RA evening with him.

Really interesting and was particularly enlightening about the difference between refereeing in front of crowds v empty stadium and his tips for how to approach officiating as you move up through the levels. The part/warning I wanted to highlight though was something that has been suggested on here. Will trry to precis as much as possible.

National League game, possible foul in PA, Geoff (referee) didn't think it was, cut the grass but as he did so his AR was flagging furiously for a penalty. He blows the whistle and goes to ask AR what he has seen. 'Definite penalty Geoff and DOGSO - red card' says his AR (Pre law change obviously). OK, thinks Geoff, he seems sure, I'll go with it. HOWEVER, Geoff had 'lost' the defender so he asks AR "Who should get the red card", "Oh I didn't see his number says AR"

So Geoff marches over to the players, points to the penalty spot and issues a loud "Yes please" to the defending side and sure enough, as others on here say they have done, up walks the 'offender' and Geoff send him off. However after the game the defending side tell him that he sent the wrong player off - pit was actually the captain who committed the foul, not the player Geoff sent off!

The observer, wrongly Geoff thought, and luckily for him blamed it all on the AR and Geoff wasn't marked down for that match.

A lesson for us all - don't guess!

The Referee Store
That's happened to me in an FA Cup game, I just had to give the penalty without any cards as I didn't have a scooby who it was and sadly nor did the AR who flagged for it. Wasn't for DOGSO, rather an off the ball incident when the ball was down the other end. One of those things, we laughed about it after the game and I've wound him up about it ever since.

Lesson though is that if you are going to be brave enough to flag for a penalty, you must know who it was and can't assume the referee will know. If you can't be sure who it was it would be better to keep the flag down

A lesson for us all - don't guess!
Mixed feelings--is sending off the wrong player (presumably one the defending team would prefer to lose) worse than not sending anyone off? From the DOGSO offense the team should be playing short.
Lesson though is that if you are going to be brave enough to flag for a penalty, you must know who it was and can't assume the referee will know. If you can't be sure who it was it would be better to keep the flag down
I agree with the first half of this (that the AR needs to pay attention to who needs to get a card), but not the second. Why should the offended team lose a PK (almost certain goal) because the AR can't also tell who needs to be sent off. Again, I think the best result is obviously to get it all right, but I don't see why the offended team should be further victimized by the failure of the R team to get all the pieces right.

Back