A&H

Garmin Watch

bmace3

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've got a Garmin watch I plan to use along with my other stopwatch. Just a query, for those that use GPS watches, how do you use them to track distance? Do you just set it as if you were going for a run and use that as the count-up timer. I know it wont be super accurate as its mainly used for 'straight line' running when it refreshes but just thought it would give me a rough idea.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

The Referee Store
I use a Fenix 6x with Refsix (non-paid version) and it takes care of everything. I recently changed the GPS to check every second rather than the Smart setting, but I can't say I noticed a difference. Feedback from other users suggests it just writes additional data in the log files but doesn't do much better at accuracy.
How accurate do it find it? Who knows.

I have a polar and this allows me to set different sport 'profiles' so I use soccer for reffing. It allows me to set speed as opposed to pace and doesn't fiddle with my running stats either.
Not sure if Garmin offers similar functionality.

On Garmin Refsix logs the activity as "other", so does not mess with running stats.
Its a good call though - if you do run, you probably won't want it messing with your running stats.

If you do run, you probably won't want it messing with your running stats.
Absolutely not. I even separate out my types of running as I trail run as well as road run, So I can compare like for like. 😬

Reactions: es1
Mines only a Forerunner 425. I think you can get a refsix. I only got an entry level to start to see if I used it much.

For I believe 5 pounds you can get the refwatch app from Winder (assuming you have a Garmin that runs apps). The app is very good as a timer--pre-set half lengths if you do different lengths, shows count up and count down, vibrate at end time and if you use the stoppage feature. It also tracks the exercise while reffing. Mine is listing it as running--I've never bothered to see if there was a way to set it to report that differently.

I just use the run setting.

Some devices will have a sports mode though, so it's worth checking if that option exists.

For I believe 5 pounds you can get the refwatch app from Winder (assuming you have a Garmin that runs apps). The app is very good as a timer--pre-set half lengths if you do different lengths, shows count up and count down, vibrate at end time and if you use the stoppage feature. It also tracks the exercise while reffing. Mine is listing it as running--I've never bothered to see if there was a way to set it to report that differently.
If I remember things correctly, you are able to set the activity up as "Other" instead of running. I don't worry about running stats too much, so I just leave mine as running.

I use the free refsix app on my garmin fenix 5, it's decent if a little clunky. I like that it pings the match straight to strava and that you can change match times, I wish there was a quick match option, just names and length.

Sorry to jump in here! Any recommendations on a Garmin watch? Looking to get one for personal use and to use whilst refereeing!

Sorry to jump in here! Any recommendations on a Garmin watch? Looking to get one for personal use and to use whilst refereeing!
I must say the forerunner 425 is a great entry level one, would recommend for refereeing and personal at a good price.

I like my Garmin vivotech--caveat that since it is touch screen, it can be a challenge in heavy rain.

If your intent is to use the refree watch or refsix app, be sure the app you want is compatible with the watch. Not all Garmins run the apps,

Back