A&H

Games called off -----dealing with the Call offs

Richard smith

I find myself getting frustrated at this time of year with the weather related Call Off's
How do member's overcome that frustration ???????

The Referee Store
Go for a 12-16 mile run or stay in bed, or unexpected trip to the cinema with the kids or DIY

16 Miles? Surly you are not saying that's how much you run in a 90 minute game. You must be super fit mate :) Pro marathon level.

I look at the results website and keep my phone nearby. Usually I'll be called to cover another game if there's any still on. Usually an opportunity to do a reserve game if they survive the weather as they're the ones that go NRA unfortunately.

If I don't get re-assigned by the afternoon I take it as the day off and plan a gym session for Sunday/Monday depending if I have fixtures for those dates or not.

You aint playing on Grass when it aint taking a stud Chap :)

This diagnosis is flawed...it implies you are determining what footwear a player is to wear. Either the park is playable, or, its not
Its a very old school reasoning when it comes to suitability of pitches, along with strangely, some refs using a car key to stick into the ground. The relevance of a car key to a football match is lost on me. Unless part of the game involves a player sticking a car key into the ground, the comparison is guff

This diagnosis is flawed...it implies you are determining what footwear a player is to wear. Either the park is playable, or, its not
Its a very old school reasoning when it comes to suitability of pitches, along with strangely, some refs using a car key to stick into the ground. The relevance of a car key to a football match is lost on me. Unless part of the game involves a player sticking a car key into the ground, the comparison is guff
If the pitch is frozen, how is my diagnosis Flawed ????????

I would assume then the same 'standard referee equipment' key will be pushed in the sun baked ground in August on a dust bowl pitch???
I wouldn't want to fall on that either!!!

This whole frozen pitch is the same as a baked hard pitch is a myth. Wear studs or mouldies on a frozen pitch and you'll be like bambi on ice, wear mouldies or even astro boots on a rock hard summer pitch and you'll be fine. Firmness is a lot different to ability to grip, and if we took the firm pitch as being dangerous approach no games would ever be played on 3G.

Having had to cancel one a week ago, I managed to pick up an 11-a-side middle on Saturday. Clash of the titans in the u18 girls nationals. Minus 10 tomorrow, snowing on Saturday... but it's indoors :) Rejoice!

This whole frozen pitch is the same as a baked hard pitch is a myth. Wear studs or mouldies on a frozen pitch and you'll be like bambi on ice, wear mouldies or even astro boots on a rock hard summer pitch and you'll be fine. Firmness is a lot different to ability to grip, and if we took the firm pitch as being dangerous approach no games would ever be played on 3G.

My point was, we tend not to wear studs on the sun baked pitch
So, discussing whether a park is suitable based on footwear choice

Back