A&H

Game tomorrow.

Ref_otter

Level 7 Referee
Good morning

I've not posted here for a while and thought I'd come and ask a quick question.

Tomorrow I have a 6 pointer top of the table clash. I've had the away team twice this season and their skipper has been a nightmare to manage on the pitch. I've booked him in both occasions for persistent fouling both time a friend of mine, also a referee, who comes to watch said after the game "could of sent him off" I feel that I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as the first few fouls were niggly ones, but ultimately this led to players fouling back and more cautions then the game needed had I got on top early

How would you approach the game tomorrow because I can't help but think get him in the book ASAP to help control the game early on ? There's no point talking to him because he's there to kick people nothing else.

The Referee Store
Just approach the game like you would any other. Don't go looking for a card - give a soft yellow early doors and you could either end up with a dozen, or be seen as being inconsistent. If he's previously been committing a lot of niggly fouls then use that info to your advantage and use the stepped approach to set him up - quiet word after the first, public talking to after the second, caution for the third.

I completely agreed with Alex on this because if you don't approach the game with a good mindset as you've always done, it might affect your decision making especially concerning that particular player. Let him commit himself to taking the early caution maybe it will calm him down or preferably giving a general caution but directed to him during pre- match briefing.

Also agree on above. Approach it the same way. Don't experiment on doing things differently so see if works better. As you say it a 6 pointer and doing things differently can backfire

The only difference is that this time around, prior knowledge means you are more confident and sure of your decisions and can sell them better.

It is very dangerous to pre-judge. Call what you see. Smart players adjust--knowing that you’ve seen what he does in the past and called him on it may change his mindset on what to try to get away with. So don’t look for the caution, but give it if/when it presents itself.

You probably know his name by now and you may find he has a different personality before the game starts. I've reffed a particular open age player that just can't help himself during games, mainly off the ball stuff, always when the ref is not looking, following through on tackles etc. I used to dread having his games and had made my mind up prior to the game that he would end up being sent off and most times he did. Then I changed tact and had a quick word with him before the game and reminded him throughout not to do anything silly or when they was a potential flash point, shout his name not to get involved. It worked, and he thanked me after the game for helping him. So maybe talk to him prior to KO, tell him you really want to give him every opportunity to stay on the field so work with you and get through the game

There are some players that should just never be captains. I remember lining up in the tunnel for a supply league game and tried to talk to the away team captain, he wasn't interested and just said that he doesn't talk to referees. You can probably guess who got the first caution, and his team mates probably also got avoidable cautions because I couldn't work with the captain to try and prevent them.

All you can do is try, if they won't engage with you let the cards do the talking.

There are some players that should just never be captains. I remember lining up in the tunnel for a supply league game and tried to talk to the away team captain, he wasn't interested and just said that he doesn't talk to referees. You can probably guess who got the first caution, and his team mates probably also got avoidable cautions because I couldn't work with the captain to try and prevent them.

All you can do is try, if they won't engage with you let the cards do the talking.

This was my yesterday. A club freshly admitted to our regional Premier League competition. First proper interaction I had with the captain/VB after 40 minutes was a mouthful of obvious dissent after I awarded a foul against him for using an opponent as a step ladder.

He told me, in some other words, that giving a caution for dissent was soft. Two minutes later, he went in two feet on an opponent on the sideline.

THEN, after the match, comes back on and has the hide to say that I didn't give him a warning first. Not sure what for, the obvious dissent or the two footer.

But these seem to be types people look to as 'inspirational leaders'. Hard to lead inspirational my on a suspension though, isn't it

Back