A&H

Game Called off - Who's paid and when

Tom Knight

"You don't know they rules ref!"..They are laws!"
Level 8 Referee
So as most of you will all know, it's pretty cold out. I was wondering depending on who calls the game off in which situations do you get paid. (Sorry if this sounds crude and just doing it for the money)

The Referee Store
All in the competition rules.

Generally if you haven't arrived at the ground and it is called off, you won't be paid at all. If you have arrived then you may be paid expenses or an 'inspection fee'.

Leagues I referee, you get nothing if you are informed before you get to the ground, half if you get to the ground but don't start, and the whole fee if you do start, but then abandon.

Much the same here - league rules say something to the effect of; It's the home teams responsibility to get the pitch inspected if they have doubts about playability BEFORE the match referee and away team travel (assuming that the match ref isn't the closest official that is).

If there is no pitch inspection and the match referee travels only to rule the pitch unplayable then he is entitled to half match fee plus full expenses. Away team also get travel expenses refunded.

The league here in Lancashire advises us referees to contact the home manager to confirm match playability. So i take it upon myself to email the home manager the day before as to the condition of the pitch, if i don't receive an answer by the evening i will call him/her. Just being efficient i suppose.

You have to contact the club??
How bonkers is that!!

i believe ours is if you get to the ground and it's unplayable your entitled to half match fee and full expenses, if it's called off before you've left you get nothing and if you start and abandon it's full match fee and expenses.

The league here in Lancashire advises us referees to contact the home manager to confirm match playability. So i take it upon myself to email the home manager the day before as to the condition of the pitch, if i don't receive an answer by the evening i will call him/her. Just being efficient i suppose.

That's certainly unorthodox.
Most leagues operate a system whereby the home team "manager" is obliged to contact the ref no later than 24 hours before a match anyway - just to touch base and discuss venue/directions/potential issues etc. (I know a lot just dont bother).
But if I don't get a call from anybody prior to setting out, and the pitch isn't playable when I get there - league rules says I still get half my fee. :)

I have had the occasional manager ring me in the Mid Lancs League to confirm match. In the Sunday League only one U18 manager has rang me to confirm match k.o. It seems that when the weather is bad rain/snow/ice, not one manager in either league has contacted me to confirm status of match. I normally get an email from the league stating postponement. Problem is if i just sit back and assume match is going ahead and i've heard nothing then i travel to a ground which can be up to 30 miles away and nobody's there no fee, lot of time wasting/fuel and hassle so best thing is to email/ring myself to confirm match.....

Problem is if i just sit back and assume match is going ahead and i've heard nothing then i travel to a ground which can be up to 30 miles away and nobody's there no fee, lot of time wasting/fuel and hassle so best thing is to email/ring myself to confirm match.....

That's terrible to be honest Mike.
The league should have it written into the rules that failure to contact/inform a referee of the match's postponement results in a fine for the home club. At the very least, the referee who turns up to such a fixture, having not been informed, should be getting at least his travel costs reimbursed. As mentioned before, most leagues have a "half fee" rule for that.
I'd be raising the matter with my County FA and getting that shoddy admin approach by your league sorted. :)

I agree, its since all this bad weather for the past couple of months i received an email (as did all the refs) asking us to contact the home manager prior to match day as to ascertain the condition of their pitch. Mind you even before the weather the attitude was still there i can only think of three instances this season where i've had an email/call from the home manager confirming the match.

The competition rules for both the leagues I officiate on are pretty much the same as other posters in relation to this.
If you turn up and postpone the match because the pitch isn't playable you're entitled to half your fee.
If you abandon the match, then you get your full fee (we have to be paid before kick off).

If the match is postponed because one team doesn't turn up, or doesn't have enough players then you get your full fee, which is paid by the team at fault. If, for example the away team don't show then the home team pay the full fee and then claim it back from the away team via the league.

the leagues I ref in are pretty much:

told prior - no fee
arrive and not playable - 50%
abandon before half time - 50%
anything after and including half time - full fee

Back