A&H

Fulham v QPR

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Not a KMI but still poor and suprising in equal measure......

Paul Smyth of QPR fouled by a reckless challenge by Fulham player, in front of AR. It was an 'orange' so referee quite sensibly took time to consult with AR before IMHO ( even as a QPR fan!) correctly issuing a yellow card. Meanwhile QPR player is receiving treatment. Free kick is between penalty area and touchline about in line with penalty spot so a decent position. However, Mr Kavanagh then insists QPR player leave fop after treatment. Player and physio both 'remind' referee and AR that a card has been issued so player doesn't have to leave fop - however Chris Kavanagh insists he does!

Pretty poor that a PL ref gets this wrong in law, but also like with the Keith Stroud penalty incident earlier in the season, I really can't understand why the other 3 officials don't tell him in his ear???!!!. Makes a mockery of the whole '3rd team' ethos.

Only possible explanation is that its not 'the done thing' to contradict the man in the middle, but when its a clear cut point of law as in this case, can't understand how the 'team' can allow this?

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
The player can only remain if the treatment is completed quickly. A sanction to the offending player is not simply a blanket allowance of the injured player remaining.

Haven’t seen the incident in question but if treatment had not been completed quickly then the player does have to leave.

Unless it seemed that the treatment was taking too long for the referee.

Having said that, I've seen several instances of the same at all levels (whether premier league, MLS in North America, La Liga, etc) over the last year or so.

Its happening everywhere and the only logical readon i can fathom is that the treatment isnt completed quickly enough. Although I havent seen any directives / guidance (official) on how long is permissable. The general consensus on here is that if its completed before the sanction is administered then player can stay on. Any longer he must leave.

In our association we are told that about 30 seconds can be allowed before we insist they still go off...

Thanks all for the 'explanation'. However in this instance because the referee had to consult the AR & then administer the caution - after the dealing with/ignoring the usual nonsense from both sides, by the time he had done all that QPR were ready to take the fk and the injured player was ready to continue?

One nation even has guidance that the player can only stay on if treatment is completed before the caution procedure is completed. I'm not sure that is even possible ..?!

But from what I've seen players are made to leave much more often than they are allowed to stay on. Another badly written law really.

Hi
This is not being correctly implemented. If the player is ready to continue at the time of the restart he should be allowed to stay when an opponent has been cautioned. For me it is not badly written just poorly implemented. There is a detailed section on p202 of the lotg.
I also see the treatment of players being allowed on the field of play when it expressly says that cannot happen, . For example watched Albrighton get a bloody nose v Chelsea in the Cup and the full treatment too place on the FOP. He was some three yards from the touchline. The moment he left FOP the free kick was taken and he returned immediately. That not what the law says. If the incident had resulted in a caution then there was no need for Albrighton to leave unless the restart was ready to the needed treatment off the FOP

Don’t worry it’s not like Smyth would have scored a towering header from the free kick :)

As for the Keith Stroud reference, I didn’t realise you were actually aloud to use his name on here I thought it was banned :)

Back