A&H

Freekick in the Area

ByronCoach

Afternoon all hope you are all well and have had a good footballing weekend..

As always just want to pick your brains if i might,

yesterday's game (i'm the assistant manager of a Saturday Adult team at step 7 of the pyramid) the ref awards us a freekick just out side the 6 yard box after an opposing player had fouled our midfield player who was shielding the ball.
Our keeper took the kick and played it to our CB who was still in the area and the ref blew his whistle and made us retake it as it had not come out the area.
Now i'm aware that on a goalkick the ball needs to come out the area before a player touches the ball but i presume that its the same for a freekick situation ?

Can anyone clear this up please..

The Referee Store
@ByronCoach its good to see a coach come on here for advice. There are coaches who think they know the LOTG better than the refs (who have vast knowledge and qualifications) so it's good to see you asking for advice. Please keep coming back. I find the guys on here are always willing to help.

Ordered a retake in my last u13s game.

Defensive free kick in area, keeper plays a sloppy under hit pass towards nearest defender, who panics when he's closed down by an alert attacker. Defender runs towards the ball and takes possession whilst the ball is still in the area. Stopped play and ordered retake, cue shouts of "Only on goal kicks ref"... somewhat surprisingly from the defending team! :confused:

Defending team should of been grateful that I did order the retake otherwise there was a big risk of them losing the ball on the edge of the area with no defensive cover!

Bastian Schweinsteiger actually, very cleverly used this to his advantage earlier this season. David De Gea played the ball to him but he had a defender right on him which I don't think De Gea noticed, Schweinsteiger very quickly sprinted into the box and controlled the ball knowing full well it would be a re-take. Not all players don't know the laws!! :)

Same thing.
Nope. Not only must the attacking players be outside of the penalty area when the kick is taken, they cannot go through the penalty area until the ball has cleared it (page 42, Law 13 - Free Kicks):
Free kick inside the penalty area
Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:
• all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
• all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
• the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area
• a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area

Nope. Not only must the attacking players be outside of the penalty area when the kick is taken, they cannot go through the penalty area until the ball has cleared it (page 42, Law 13 - Free Kicks):
Free kick inside the penalty area
Direct or indirect free kick to the defending team:
• all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball
• all opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the ball is in play
• the ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area
• a free kick awarded in the goal area may be taken from any point inside that area

I said, quite simply, that all opposition players must be outside the penalty area when it's taken. I made that point because the defensive team can have players inside. Unless you and Hoofit are saying that's not true - you have no point. ;)

The point is that the attacking team cannot come into the area until the ball is out of the area and in play

The point is that the attacking team cannot come into the area until the ball is out of the area and in play

But that is extra advice to my original post. It doesn't alter the fact that what I told Byron was correct in law. That was my point.

But that is extra advice to my original post. It doesn't alter the fact that what I told Byron was correct in law. That was my point.
But you also said that being outside the area when it is taken and being outside the area until it's in play were the same thing, which they're not.

Now now!!!! We've all had a hard day! :ninja:

But you also said that being outside the area when it is taken and being outside the area until it's in play were the same thing, which they're not.

It's not that difficult to be honest Peter. I said "same thing" because, when you think about it, it is. ;)

All opposition outside the area. ball not "in play" until it leaves area. It's logically not possible for the opposition to ever be inside the area after it's taken and the ball still be in play as per the LOFTG.

This is getting ridiculous. Kes, the statement you made the the attacking team must remain outside the PA while the kick is taken is correct, but incomplete - and on a site like this we should all endeavour to make sure we're using the correct terminology and not missing critical important parts of the law. And people will correct you when that happens - not for the sake of being pedantic, but because this is an education site and it's important to ensure unclear information is not being passed around.

The difference between 'must be outside the PA when kicked' and 'must remain outside the PA until ball is in play' can be significant; the former suggests the attacking team may cut across the corner of the PA to close down a defender, while that's illegal.?

Can we move on:rolleyes:

Reactions: SM
This is getting ridiculous. Kes, the statement you made the the attacking team must remain outside the PA while the kick is taken is correct, but incomplete - and on a site like this we should all endeavour to make sure we're using the correct terminology and not missing critical important parts of the law. And people will correct you when that happens - not for the sake of being pedantic, but because this is an education site and it's important to ensure unclear information is not being passed around.

The difference between 'must be outside the PA when kicked' and 'must remain outside the PA until ball is in play' can be significant; the former suggests the attacking team may cut across the corner of the PA to close down a defender, while that's illegal.?

Can we move on:rolleyes:

Oh go on then!! :rolleyes:
I suppose I am being a bit of an arse on this one. :oops:
You're right, I didn't give the complete picture in my original post and so I concede. :hmmm:

* Flounces off back to his chair and plonks down in it with arms folded, staring straight ahead and lips tight shut. :D

Back