A&H

Foul and abusive before game

JamesG

Level 5 Referee
Just wondered about this as I've a notorious team next week and I've heard of them on refs back before ko.

So as wondering if you've ever entered a dressing room for teamlines etc and one of players in the dressing room calls you something and swears etc. basically foul and abusive language but before kick off.

What would you do in this situation?

The Referee Store
The player gets a misconduct report and has to remain away from the vicinity of pitch, meaning they cannot play. If it is off the pitch and before the game I would allow them to replace the player/sub - if it was on the pitch before game and team sheet submitted it would mean they could replace the player with a substitute but the substitute is not replaced. One big point - I am not going into their dressing room - that is their territory and unless there is no option, I am staying out. Give your speech on the fop, makes handling problems easier as all disciplinary options become possible.

Don't worry to much about heresay about teams - preconceived ideas will make you all anxious. Go in with a positive mind set like any other match. If something happens you will deal with it. If not, all the better, get and enjoy the game!

Agree 100% with the above post - stay away from the dressing rooms, after playing myself there's alot of 'banter' and words being slung all over the place which could be mistakenly perceived as offinabus. If you enter their territory they would feel comfortable and brave enough to attempt some 'banter' with you.

do select group refs go into dressing rooms, pre-match?

Why do we care what Select group officials do when we are refereeing grass roots football? They are not the experts on Sunday morning pub football......they officiate in a bubble universe where OFFINABUS is ignored, dissent is largely ignored, and they are 2nd guessed 50 times a game.

Although i do agree that a teams dressing room at any level of football, is not a place for officials.

No, even if they did; they shouldn't. Pre-match the captains and a club official are invited into the officials changing room to change over team sheets etc.. Coaches, players and anybody else are not allowed in the changing room without the permission of the referee.

Why do we care what Select group officials do when we are refereeing grass roots football? They are not the experts on Sunday morning pub football......they officiate in a bubble universe where OFFINABUS is ignored, dissent is largely ignored, and they are 2nd guessed 50 times a game.

Although i do agree that a teams dressing room at any level of football, is not a place for officials.

You seem to forget that select group officials started in grassroots football - they weren't just dropped from the sky into the Premier League and that they have experience of refereeing at EVERY level.

You seem to forget that select group officials started in grassroots football - they weren't just dropped from the sky into the Premier League and that they have experience of refereeing at EVERY level.

But they have been away from that arena for a long long time. They are simply not relevant when it comes to discussing grassroots football.

The assistants will be at the door of the dressing rooms checking the players equipment (law 4) for any infringements, thats as close as they get. But yeah i agree the place for the talk is before they go onto the field of play. I was recently assistant for 2 finals (u17s) and both referees were adament on a changing room talk but I wasnt so sure it was the right idea, but oh well, they handled it well and the games went without incident

Why do we care what Select group officials do when we are refereeing grass roots football? They are not the experts on Sunday morning pub football......they officiate in a bubble universe dissent is largely ignored

Phil Dowd though! haha the last time I saw someone booked for dissent was Rooney by M Oliver in the Hull vs Man U game at the KC earlier this season

Phil Dowd though! haha the last time I saw someone booked for dissent was Rooney by M Oliver in the Hull vs Man U game at the KC earlier this season

One out of an entire season? Think that counts as "largely ignored"?

Yeah I know your point, it does annoy me to be honest, only seen 3 this season, 2 in 10 secs of each other! In my games anything towards me and I can feel a card brewing

In amateur games we normally enter dressing room to get teamlines, check colours, boots and for some speak to players.

I don't find it a major issue but take onboard advice given and thank you.

Just a question, then, since I find this interesting: what do you say to them in the dressing rooms?

Just a question, then, since I find this interesting: what do you say to them in the dressing rooms?
The referees I were assistant for, just hammered the point of 'its a cup final yes but there will be an absolute zero tolerance of OFFINABUS to the officials, the other players or anyone, and that if they try it theyll be off straight away etc etc.

Send off.
The team can start with 11 but can name only one fewer sub.
Away from vicinity of pitch.
Misconduct report.

Back