A&H

Football league referees

Matt Cole

Level 7 Referee
As a Nottingham Forest fan (yes...it pains me to say it at the moment) I often get the 'pleasure' of watching football league referees. Watched James Linington on sunday on sky sports who I thought was excellent - booking for simulation, tried to let game flow. However I have witnessed a lot worse performances by other referees.
I know they are not professional, unlike select group referees, but was interested whether you think they should be? Can't imagine how hard it is to work a 5 day week and then have the huge pressures of a match on the weekend, only getting paid per game. Could the refereeing standard improve if this occurred?

The Referee Store
As a Nottingham Forest fan (yes...it pains me to say it at the moment) I often get the 'pleasure' of watching football league referees. Watched James Linington on sunday on sky sports who I thought was excellent - booking for simulation, tried to let game flow. However I have witnessed a lot worse performances by other referees.
I know they are not professional, unlike select group referees, but was interested whether you think they should be? Can't imagine how hard it is to work a 5 day week and then have the huge pressures of a match on the weekend, only getting paid per game. Could the refereeing standard improve if this occurred?

Interesting you mentioned that Matt.

They are having a select group 2 as of next season.

Didn't know that, thanks. Would that include a selection of referees or all national list ones?

Didn't know that, thanks. Would that include a selection of referees or all national list ones?
It will be a selection of those currently on the National List, so next year at the top you will have the following structure:
Select Group (Premier League)
Select Group 2 (Championship)
National List (League 1 & 2)

Makes sense. Interesting to see which ones are part of Select Group 2 because you seem to get a variety of referees officiating in the championship - few common ones being Keith Stroud and Simon Hooper amongst others.
Thanks for clearing it up though :)

As a Leeds fan I have to echo the comments of @Matt Cole It can't have been an easy game but he made it look like it was. First rate performance

Back