A&H

Football League Kit

The Referee Store
If it's black, then yes. But if it's Football League badged and you're out on a Sunday morning, you'd better be good! Prepare yourself for some comments!

If it's not black, then unfortunately you won't be permitted to wear it for FA-affiliated games (which should be all your games!)

Probably best not to. as above - if it's badged you best be sh!t hot (and the FL may take umbridge to it being worn on a local park by an officially "certified" referee), or if it's not black it's a no for starters.

use it as a posh training top (or wear it and try and blag a ticket to your local FL team's home game.....)

I've got one too ... only use it for the odd charity match, when I know the 2 teams and everythings fine with it ... besides that, training top ... which is good when you get stopped out 'oh, are you a ref?' ... well I hate to brag sweetheart ;)

*Note: This has never worked, I have never experienced a case where refereeing is deemed sexy by any of the opposite sex

I'd be interested in buying it (well, at least paying for P&P), but only if it's got the FA/FL badge on. Would you be able to post a photo?

By the way, here in Holland refs can wear any colour they like, as long as they avoid having their kit clash with the colours of the teams they're reffing. Does the FA rule about kits being black at all times also imply that teams are not allowed to wear black shirts? What exactly are those rules relating to referee kits anyway?

I'd be interested in buying it (well, at least paying for P&P), but only if it's got the FA/FL badge on. Would you be able to post a photo?

By the way, here in Holland refs can wear any colour they like, as long as they avoid having their kit clash with the colours of the teams they're reffing. Does the FA rule about kits being black at all times also imply that teams are not allowed to wear black shirts? What exactly are those rules relating to referee kits anyway?
yes, many leagues' handbooks ask that teams are not to wear black kits, but it does amaze me that a handful of teams still insist (certainly thats the case in my area) on black and white stripes, with solid black backs, black shorts and socks ( in fact my sons' team sports a fetching version of that )
It really makes it difficult sometimes to pick out the official in the middle when he/she is also of a similar age to the players.
mind you its not really entirely the offending teams fault, as the league must have at some point along the way, approved the kit.

yes, many leagues' handbooks ask that teams are not to wear black kits, but it does amaze me that a handful of teams still insist (certainly thats the case in my area) on black and white stripes, with solid black backs, black shorts and socks ( in fact my sons' team sports a fetching version of that )
It really makes it difficult sometimes to pick out the official in the middle when he/she is also of a similar age to the players.
mind you its not really entirely the offending teams fault, as the league must have at some point along the way, approved the kit.

In fact, the Standard Code of Rules (SCOR) actually prohibit clubs from wearing black or very dark kits. If there is any doubt the League Sec / Committee have the final decision.

I know of a case where a club got a new sponsor - he purchased two brand new kits (wholly black shirts) for the first and reserve team. First match, referee abandoned as they did not have a different kit (quite correctly!).

Team appealed the league, lost their case and the league banned both clubs from wearing the kit entirely. Sponsor said they could not wear their old kits unless they repaid him for the cost of the new kits.... Disaster all round :oops:.

Hi buddy,

I have this shirt - Grey Football League Jersey with EA Sports badge on each arm. It is in Small but is the same size as my medium!

The shirt is brand new, never been worn and still has the labels attached to it. Can you give us a price you are willing to pay plus the postage cost.

Regards,

Kael
Hi Kael,

Thanks for the photo and the description. As I'm a Large (sometimes XL, depending on fit), I don't think I could wear this shirt. Still, it would be a nice addition to my collection of refereeing stuff (mostly books, but I'm venturing into other territory), so I'm interested in buying it. Would 15 quid suit you? Postage would be to Holland, but I have no idea about UK postage rates, so I'm kindly asking you to find that out. Let me know. Thanks!

In fact, the Standard Code of Rules (SCOR) actually prohibit clubs from wearing black or very dark kits. If there is any doubt the League Sec / Committee have the final decision.

I know of a case where a club got a new sponsor - he purchased two brand new kits (wholly black shirts) for the first and reserve team. First match, referee abandoned as they did not have a different kit (quite correctly!).

Team appealed the league, lost their case and the league banned both clubs from wearing the kit entirely. Sponsor said they could not wear their old kits unless they repaid him for the cost of the new kits.... Disaster all round :oops:.
What a situation! Over here, clubs have autonomy over what they wear. If they want to change it, they have to submit to the national association, which assesses it for offensive character and the like, but tends to approve nearly all kits. I guess it's to do with the fact that clubs have a big say in the meetings and constituent committees of the Dutch FA. It does mean that as a ref you sometimes need to take four or five different kits to matches, as you're not sure of teams' away colours (home colours are stated on assignment details but clubs often sport different sets of away kits, depending on sponsor wishes etc.). Refs carry heavy kit bags here! :confused:

I think it is so referee's at grass roots don't have to go out and buy different colours, at £50 a pop it wouldn't be cheap!

that being said, I have no idea why they cannot banish teams from wearing black BUT also make it that the referee can wear whatever colour shirt he wishes, so long as it is an official referees shirt and doesn't clash with teams?

e.g. if I had a team in green and a team in red ... I could wear the yellow or grey shirt

Exactly, Charlie. Why not give referees the freedom to wear whatever kit they like as long as it doesn't clash with team colours (and keepers, not to forget)? I don't know the level of match fees in the UK, but here it's more than enough to buy one new kit a year (or more if you buy different colour shirts of the same brand). That way, it's easy to accumulate a nice range of kit sets. I do admit, though, that I prefer reffing in black myself.
Funny thing.. the only teams wearing black outfits here are the very, very old clubs (from the 19th century, early 20th century). Had to do with limited availability of (multi-)coloured shirts at the time.

My apologies. As a Dutchman unfamiliar with these FA house rules, I just wanted to be enlightened. Is the FA really so distant from the clubs that it can issue such ukases? Here in Holland, the clubs are the FA and vice versa, meaning there is a much closer relationship.

My apologies. As a Dutchman unfamiliar with these FA house rules, I just wanted to be enlightened. Is the FA really so distant from the clubs that it can issue such ukases? Here in Holland, the clubs are the FA and vice versa, meaning there is a much closer relationship.
The National FA is run by the fourty or so County FA's (more commonly known as the "blazers). The CFA form the overall governing body and tend to run football at the local league level.

Most of them are old, male and white. They do not seem to like change, on when forced on them. The jobs been done that way fir years so why change! Referees wore black when I played (in the 1950's) so that is still good enough.

The clubs don't run the CFA's as few local clubs want to be involved, they want to play football. Change has to come as the current volunteers die (they are already retired) and nobody is coming though to replace them.

The National FA is run by the fourty or so County FA's (more commonly known as the "blazers). The CFA form the overall governing body and tend to run football at the local league level.

Most of them are old, male and white. They do not seem to like change, on when forced on them. The jobs been done that way fir years so why change! Referees wore black when I played (in the 1950's) so that is still good enough.

The clubs don't run the CFA's as few local clubs want to be involved, they want to play football. Change has to come as the current volunteers die (they are already retired) and nobody is coming though to replace them.

That isn't the case for all CFAs. For example on our Referee's Committee there are lots of younger members who are active referees, and there's probably as many under 50s as there are over 50s, several are even in their 20s. Don't know if that is representative of other counties, but certainly the case here and the average age has come down massively over the past 5 years or so.

That isn't the case for all CFAs. For example on our Referee's Committee there are lots of younger members who are active referees, and there's probably as many under 50s as there are over 50s, several are even in their 20s. Don't know if that is representative of other counties, but certainly the case here and the average age has come down massively over the past 5 years or so.
Hi @RustyRef, referees tend to involve at younger ages, so Referees committee tend to have a better age.
It is the CFA council that has the blazers, who then nominate one of their own to serve on the FA Council.

Hi @RustyRef, referees tend to involve at younger ages, so Referees committee tend to have a better age.
It is the CFA council that has the blazers, who then nominate one of their own to serve on the FA Council.

Yes, but the FA recently (about 2 years ago) put out a proposal to allowed coloured kits to CFAs and I think they were supposed to pass that to their Referee's Committees to make a recommendation. It was unanimously rejected though ...

Back