A&H

Football betting

Slight tangent - but I wonder what other sports do about 'insider' betting?

Horse racing - obviously betting based says only jockeys can't bet, a bit of a nonsense that really when the trainers and stable staff know more about a horse's chances/wellbeing than the jockeys!

The Referee Store
Slight tangent - but I wonder what other sports do about 'insider' betting?

Horse racing - obviously betting based says only jockeys can't bet, a bit of a nonsense that really when the trainers and stable staff know more about a horse's chances/wellbeing than the jockeys!
Cricketers have been banned and even jailed for match fixing. Bans have also been handed out to cricketers who fail to report approaches from bookmakers.

In horse racing, while it is true that trainers and stable staff can bet on a race, it is a big no to use an exchange (Betfair) to lay a horse (i.e. to lose)

Generally, a match fix is less about a winning bet but more about spot fixing and the chances are more footballers are involved than the authorities are aware of.

In the US I believe the NFL bans any player who bets (if caught) and I’d imagine the other sports have similar policies.

Cricketers have been banned and even jailed for match fixing. Bans have also been handed out to cricketers who fail to report approaches from bookmakers.

In horse racing, while it is true that trainers and stable staff can bet on a race, it is a big no to use an exchange (Betfair) to lay a horse (i.e. to lose)

Generally, a match fix is less about a winning bet but more about spot fixing and the chances are more footballers are involved than the authorities are aware of.

In the US I believe the NFL bans any player who bets (if caught) and I’d imagine the other sports have similar policies.
Betting isn't match fixing though?

Can cricketers have a bet, umpires. levels allowed etc?

Back