A&H

Following on from it being my first game Friday, what should be my must haves?

Dave Mac

Obviously going to turn up with my boots, kit, cards, whistle etc. Also going to make sure I have a few energy drinks etc. But as a newbie ref what sort of thing will be handy for me to take that I might not have thought of.

also as I'm level 9 and need to get my 6 games out of the way. The game I'm reffing on Friday is between two works teams, will be 11 aside friendly match. If i can convince a couple of people to run the line can this count towards my 6 games. If so what details will I need. Will i need someone from each team to verify the match took place. Or should I just take this one as a bit of experience and look towards some proper games to get to my level 7?

The Referee Store
Unless these two teams are already affiliated to your County FA and have had this game sanctioned by the County FA, then don't touch it with a bargepole. Refereeing games which have not been sanctioned is a surefire way to earn a suspension from refereeing, even before you have completed your training.

Works teams games are like games between Old Boys and Teachers and are notoriously difficult to manage as they usually want to just have a kickabout so are not bothered about adhering to the Laws. This has two effects, the first being that you are more likely to have to take disciplinary action and secondly they are not going to take much notice of you.

I'd let this game go if I were you

Echoing what BH say's, if it is not a sanctioned match, I wouldn't go anywhere near it...

However, if you do do the game, items which are handy include,

- Spare of EVERYTHING, you never know what might happen!
- Plenty of water. Energy drinks are good, but nothing beats water
- MArs bar / a banana
- A towell for those rainy / sweaty / rainy and sweaty days
- Some gaffer tape
- Tracksuit / warm up t-shirt
- LOtG
- And County FA guidlines

Check the Kit & Supplies section for the recent 'Whats in your kitbag thread', here you will find my 'extensive' list, along with other member's long lists, and some shorter ones. You accumulate more usefull stuff as you go along.

:)

hmmm so maybe I should pass it up. Both of the teams are registered with the FA as they play in some London accounting leagues. They have basically have a few friendly games to build up to the start of their season and this is the last one they have. So I guess this isnt going to have been sanctioned by the FA.

I have also been offered the chance to ref a works team cup game on Friday as well. So it might be worth me going for that one as they did approach me, but I thought the friendly might have been a better introduction into the world of refereeing!!

Personnaly, I would contact you RO / RDO / CFA General Secretary, or somebody of the sort that you are familiar with, and explain the situation, they can tell you if the game is or is not sanctioned, and can direct you further.

A golden rule when you are first starting off, don't be affraid of asking!

I left a message with the county FA yesterday and will follow up today for a bit more guidance. Although I am now in touch wit ha few local leagues and it looks likely I'll have a game for this weekend as a ref has pulled out with an injury so they might be able to throw me in! The idea of refereeing total strangers seems alot more nerve wracking!

Trust me, its not half as stressfull as refereeing people you know / work with. You don't have any previous etc with them.

Take it in yur stride, you will soon get to know them :)

Before I even think about the kit in my bag for a game I have to make sure I have the pills, Voltarol, painkilling gel, supports etc in there!! :p

The idea of refereeing total strangers seems alot more nerve wracking!

The opposite (as you may well see) applies for me - I refereed a game where a work colleague played for one of the teams, it was one of the hardest games i have done - I do'nt know if i made it that way, or if he thought he would get favours as he knew me - regardless he didn't! Refereeing people you don't know is a lot easier as it takes away that element of expectation of you..........it's also more fun!

I've asked my league not to give me a specific team, because i also coach youth football for that club a to avoid complications (not withstanding the potential for a complaint of bias (which of course i wouldn't be, but teams will be teams ofc)

Back