A&H

Flexibility about throw-in location

Hi, I am just wondering how much flexibility other referees provide around the position of a throw-in relative to where the ball goes out? I don’t feel like I am pedantic on this issue but I do certainly seem to be annoying a few adult players at the moment when I expect them to move up or down the field as the case may be to get closer to the point where the ball actually left the field of play.

The Referee Store
For me it’s largely a question of whether they are getting an u fair advantage from the wrong spot. Sometimes moving up 10 yards just doesn’t matter, and sometimes it does. Field position is one of the key factors, but not the only one—is the improper location getting past defenders? Is it allowing a super quick throw while the defense is getting ready for a throw from the proper place?

But whatever you do, don’t tell the, to move to the right location, and then Ignore it when they steal back all of that same real estate by three fake throws as they keep moving.

As soon as you award the first foul throw due to taking from the wrong spot, they’ll realise and change. You’ll also have to be clear where every throw is to be taken for the rest of the match. Pick your battles

Expectation. Watch any tv game, even with the fifa lino standing where the ball goes out.

esp in defensive areas, esp even more so if they steal distance up the park,but are clearly going to throw the ball back, play on, Let your game flow.

Do not be exact publically with your intended position of restart. If you are, and the throw is not taken from the exact place you instructed, you have dug a hole for yourself, if you let it go you now look weak, if you penalise it, you now have an unwanted awkward remainder of match organising throw in restarts

say the ball goes out at halfway, prompt the player say, 3/4 yards before he gets to halfway, that way, even if he takes an extra few yards, he only be 3/4 yards from the correct place,

be proactive, use voice, "thats fine thanks", when he there or there abouts
if its clear he running too far with ball , whistle, " back thanks"

attacking throws you might wish to reduced the flexibility,

if your games going well, play on.

use more exact location when you need establish control.

if your main focus in a game is throw in location, you are overlooking plenty bigger issues

If the players are annoyed in your game, it might ( might) be possible your approach is a surprise? Not really needing surprises to control a game

Last edited:
In the defensive half I generally don't care that much, aside from specific situations (ie. "pen them in"-type throws right by the corner flag)

In the attacking half, I'm a fan of proactively trying to "train" the players to look for guidance. First few throws in the attacking half for each team I'll try and give a relatively specific location (level with me/penalty area/6 yard box) and will try to whistle pre-throw if they look to be ignoring that.

If you're lucky, players will go along with that and even start proactively looking to you for a position before taking a throw - in which case you can either verbally guide them ("there's fine", "another 10 yards") or use a signpost-style signal and then get moving once they reach the indicated point.

If you're unlucky, they'll keep pushing their luck - at which point, like everything else in football, you may be forced to penalise. If you think this moment is coming, give the signpost signal to where the throw is to be taken from and then stand still. A foul throw is a really easy sell when the whistle blows, thrower turns to object and sees you stood there 15 yards behind them with your arm out pointing at the sideline where he should have thrown it.

Additional benefit of this approach - attacking throw turning into a defensive throw will annoy them in the moment, but isn't game breaking. Using this approach up the other end will results in you creating attacking opportunities, and potentially even goals, which is less ideal.

It is possible to just let throws be taken from wherever - there are probably some referees in your league that do this and that's probably part of why a referee doing things more correctly will annoy players. But assuming you want to do a better job:
1. Train players on your expectations early in the match
2. Apply your expectations consistently
3. Whistle pre-throw if possible
4. If you do have to give the foul throw, set up to sell it well

My tactic is to be on the first few. Teams usually have a designated throw in taker so grab their attention early, Use a light whistle if needed to get them to stop at a point. Once they realise you are managing throw in location after 1 or 2 they will start to look at you at throw ins to confirm you're happy with where it is.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide advice and perspectives on this topic. It sounds like my approach is not unreasonable although I take on board the tips about setting expectations early, being consistent and being most concerned about when an unfair advantage is being sought.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to provide advice and perspectives on this topic. It sounds like my approach is not unreasonable although I take on board the tips about setting expectations early, being consistent and being most concerned about when an unfair advantage is being sought.
If it's an "attacking throw" ie they're in the attacking 3rd of the field (for them) then, you'll normally have the defending team's players prompting you to manage it more strictly by shouting "Where's he going Ref?" etc. In which case it's always best to be pedantic about the position it's thrown from.
As others have said, a throw-in inside their own defensive 3rd tends not to be viewed as anally by the players and so it's often best to just be more flexible.
In truth, it's just yet another area in which the letter of the LOTG is overlooked by referees in favour of "what the game expects". ;) :cool:

Its a balance between keeping control of it and not annoying the players. If you insist on the exact blade of grass every single time you are going to have players on your back, and as an observer I'd be a bit concerned if I watched a referee doing that. These days, with more and more teams playing football on the deck than hoofing it, there's every chance they will throw backwards anyway, so as long as it isn't way out of place just let them get on with it. As others have said that needs to be less flexible as you move into the final 3rd and there's a chance of the ball going into the penalty area.

Great. Thanks Kes and RustyRef. I really appreciate your further clarifications and advice on the topic. I have 6 games this weekend (if I am still standing by the end) so should get plenty of practice refining my approach.

I find the ones that they try and sneak the most are around halfway. A player trying to quickly get a ball behind the defence and they will steal that extra 10 yards to get around it.

As soon as you see them start to go pull it back, the players know what they are doing.

Same with free kicks really. Are they just getting on with it and no impact to the game, let's get on with the game. Are they getting an advantage out of it, double peep and get them to the right place.

The only exception when I would call it regardless is in the first ten minutes or so and with teams who I haven't had before and they don't know me. It would be a 'I am here and I make the calls' type of thing. It's to assert authority. You have to get this right or it would have the opposite impact.

I’m fairly relaxed about throw in placement, if the ball goes out at the halfway line then I’d probably let them get away with a yard or too either side.

I tend to get stricter on it if teams are acting up, and use it as a way of reminding them who is incharge.

I tend to be strict on the first 2-3, then they get the message that i've not missed their cheeky little stroll up the line. I find, once you stamp out these little things early on, you make life much easier for yourself throughout the game.

I’m fairly relaxed about throw in placement, if the ball goes out at the halfway line then I’d probably let them get away with a yard or too either side.

I tend to get stricter on it if teams are acting up, and use it as a way of reminding them who is incharge.
“A yard or two” at the halfway line is relaxed?

The only one's I'm really sharp on, and will tend to simply award the throw to the opposition, is when the thrower cynically throws the ball from many many metres towards their own goal from the correct location in order to take the ball uncontested.

Most other times, if the location is a problem, I will give them a pip and get the back. It's just a matter of feel for the particular match

The only one's I'm really sharp on, and will tend to simply award the throw to the opposition, is when the thrower cynically throws the ball from many many metres towards their own goal from the correct location in order to take the ball uncontested.

Most other times, if the location is a problem, I will give them a pip and get the back. It's just a matter of feel for the particular match
I've heard players say ..."I can take it as far back as I want..it's only wrong if I go too far forward" 🤔

Back