A&H

Fitness Test for New Referees

Olivia P

Hi,
I'm about to start my referee training in about a month and I'm very excited, although there is one aspect I am a bit worried about. I believe I have a reasonable level of fitness, as I play competitive sport/training at least once a week, and personally believe I am able enough to keep up with gameplay. However, I was not blessed with natural stamina, and I was wondering if there is any compulsory fitness tests that is part of the training that I must pass in order to become a newly qualified ref? Note this would not put me off, but I would rather start upping my training schedule in order not to potentially embarrass myself and get to a standard level of fitness. Thanks

The Referee Store
Not sure if it has changed but no, not for the initial basic referees test. Fitness tests only come into play as you wish to progress or if you become part of a CFA academy.

Fitness tests only come in at level 4 on a mandatory level. Some leagues, usually supply league lower divisions, have their own fitness tests, and some supply league marking divisions have fitness tests for the assistant referees.

But no grass roots league will have fitness tests, simply because they would have very few referees left if they did ..!

Thank you both for your answers, its put my mind at ease now as I really want to complete the training as soon as possible.

Go for it, your stamina will build by doing games, you will quickly become ref fit if you have a good fitness base to work from.

Good luck

Hi,
I'm about to start my referee training in about a month and I'm very excited, although there is one aspect I am a bit worried about. I believe I have a reasonable level of fitness, as I play competitive sport/training at least once a week, and personally believe I am able enough to keep up with gameplay. However, I was not blessed with natural stamina, and I was wondering if there is any compulsory fitness tests that is part of the training that I must pass in order to become a newly qualified ref? Note this would not put me off, but I would rather start upping my training schedule in order not to potentially embarrass myself and get to a standard level of fitness. Thanks
No fitness tests on the courses I've been running for the last 9 years. I do however have a warm-up session which lasts for a few minutes. Also on the course there is a lot of practical work which involves running and the course ends with a session where you have to referee a game for around 6-7 minutes, so you do a fair bit of running. I would think that if you are involved in a sport/training once a week, you'll manage just fine. Good luck with the course.

Exercise?? I thought you said extra fries!!! Get to know your craft before you worry about any of that malarkey....

I've seen some refs at higher levels, fit as butchers dogs but they've got no common sense or empathy for the game and players..

Last edited:
No fitness tests in Cornwall either. Only fitness test you need to do, unless going for level four is to run the line on the Senior games (South West Peninsula Prem). That was two laps around a running track with a few sprints.

@Olivia P good luck with your course.

At 61 fitness is a bonus for me, however i keep active, do lots of walking but most important position myself on the field of play so i do less running, after a few minutes you know the strongest team very rarely do they lose the ball and once they start passing it about you get to know where to go and anticipate their next move. I do have to put in the occasional burst of speed but that what keeps me fit. When i do get two very strong and fast teams, i work out which side of the field they will use with their strongest players and then i anticipate the route they will take.... enjoying every minute and still going just like a duracell battery me......

I've just started doing my own fitness in prep. Having Managed for the past few years I haven't done any fitness at all. To look at I look in good shape as I hit the GYM 4/5 days a week doing weights but cardio wise I do nothing. Rather than running on a treadmill which I can't do as bores me I'm now doing a GYM session followed by running round a pitch which is is five seconds from my house so don't mind doing.

The way I've worked it out is the pitch circumference is around 300metres so I'm aiming at running around it 10x in 12 minutes. Did my first day last night and managed 5x before nearly dying of heart attack, which I know is terrible for someone involved in football their whole life and only 25 years old. Having said what you have to start somewhere and I'm hoping that by doing this 3/4x a week I'll be able to conquer it within three months or so.

Try park run if you can fit it in around your games. It will help your stamina and during the off season you can do it most weeks if you want to.Also join a running club, your fitness will improve quickly, remember running clubs are for all abilities so if you do both of these things you will be fit for the season and try going for a run by yourself. You can make a route and time your self and try and beat that time. Remember don't try too much too soon or you will injure your self

Back