The Ref Stop

First Veterans fixture (over 35)

Viridis1886

By the power of IFAB, you will obey me!
Level 5 Referee
Hi folks

I'm doing my first Vets fixture tomorrow. From those that that have done these before, what are player expectations in these?

It's a County Cup so I can afford to be quite tight to LOTG, but any views on what teams expect would be good to hear.

The Ref Stop
Imo vets is possibly the most challenging level of football to ref so turn up ready to ref the game.
Players all experienced, been around the block several times, every trick in the book, with their legs starting to or already having failed them (@Will_A 😉).
Good luck. Be strong. Do what needs to be done to deliver the game. Could be a breeze but Id of loved this warning before my 1st and last (all) vets game 😅

I love reffing Vets football, but they definitely prove their own kind of challenge. There will be guys on both teams that have been around the block and several steps higher. Football usually good to watch and be involved in, but if you’re hesitant they’ll be in your ear all game now.

My pre-match doesn’t change. Be confident, be strong and “on it” from the gun, and you can (and hopefully will be able to) relax from there as the game finds a rhythm.

You got the appointment on merit, go prove why! 💪🏻

Can only answer from my own experience.
Standard tends usually to be reasonably good. Quite often you may find some of the players have previously played at quite a high level, semi pro or higher. (I had a couple of ex football league players in one game - they constantly pushed the boundaries without really crossing the line).
I never really had that much trouble with them and found them to be cooperative and receptive, in most cases. (perhaps I was lucky).
Some of them will have been playing for 20 years or more and as James says they will know the 'dark arts' !
Again as James and FirsFox say be strong, but enjoy the game.

Hi folks

I'm doing my first Vets fixture tomorrow. From those that that have done these before, what are player expectations in these?

It's a County Cup so I can afford to be quite tight to LOTG, but any views on what teams expect would be good to hear.
Are you I Somerset?

I, too, am doing a Vets county cup game today. Looks like heavy rainfall is going to add to my (our?) difficulties today.

Wherever you are, hope you have a good game.

Are you I Somerset?

I, too, am doing a Vets county cup game today. Looks like heavy rainfall is going to add to my (our?) difficulties today.

Wherever you are, hope you have a good game.
Yes. I was in Taunton and managed to avoid the rain. A light drizzle was the worst I had to contend with.

Vets games are always really hit and miss. As has been said above, they will be a mixture of ex pro/semi-pro and amateur players. So the technical level can be fairly high.

But the downside of that is you will also get some arl-arses who know the ‘dark arts’. That can go downhill for a referee if they’re not able to handle it.

I’ve had 3 vets matches in the last two seasons and issued five red cards, with one game abandoned in the dying minutes. I’ll still do them from time-to-time but they do seem to be a bit problematic! (And 2 of those were friendlies)

Back