A&H

First two games

JackwFerrari

Morning all,

Thought I'd share a little update for the first two games in the middle.

First game, U13's knockout cup match went swimmingly IMO . No big calls, no cards needed, felt like I handled the game pretty well, the home team scored with the very last kick of the game. Both coaches shook my hand and said I did a great job.

Second game, U14's league match. Again, felt went very swimmingly. Had to go with a drop ball after the linesman decided to walk on the field and stop play himself after a player went down with a leg injury. Absolutely baffled me! Didn't think even kids this age and younger need the game to be stopped in play and be treated if they're down with any injury rather than just a head? Think I made the mistake of restarting the dropped ball from where the player went down rather than where the ball was when I stopped the game, so I'll improve there, though no one noticed. The captain of the home team called me an idiot, who got a strong word and didn't hear a peep out of him the rest of the game.

Just got a call from the refsec who has told me both teams gave me a fantastic mark and he's now appointed me to three games this weekend. THREE!! Even my 21 year old legs are going to struggle with that I feel!

One little question too, one player was wearing a bib as he didn't have a strip, his socks were also the same colour as the home team. I asked him if he had any other socks but he said no. Let him play and no one even said a word, should he not have been allowed to play or is this all part of the SOTG?

Sorry for the long post!

The Referee Store
I would let bib player play, and at a push let the socks go too, between two football teams you would hope someone has a diff colour sock, but it is what it is.
Advice would be, channel the kit issues to the coach, not to the player.
Such as, if I turn up and say gk top clashes with other team, I would say to the coach, "gk clashes with other team, can you sort out something else please"
I dont really want too much direct involvment with a 13yo and kit issues

Dropped ball is as you rightly say, where the ball was when you stopped play, but I doubt it gave you too many issues to do what you did.

I would let bib player play, and at a push let the socks go too, between two football teams you would hope someone has a diff colour sock, but it is what it is.
Advice would be, channel the kit issues to the coach, not to the player.
Such as, if I turn up and say gk top clashes with other team, I would say to the coach, "gk clashes with other team, can you sort out something else please"
I dont really want too much direct involvment with a 13yo and kit issues

Dropped ball is as you rightly say, where the ball was when you stopped play, but I doubt it gave you too many issues to do what you did.
Thanks Ciley! Noted for when it happens next time, sure it will.

LOTG gives some allowances for grassroots over strict application of some laws. There are also allowances for youth. I'd say grassroots youth get the go as long as no safety issue. I think you used some common sense letting the kid play with bib and sock.

A kid calling me an idiot gets a yellow 9 out of 10 times. You must have got the other one out of ten :) it really depends on how it is said and general context but if it needed a strong word then yellow would probably have been my option. What you did worked so can't fault it too much.

LOTG gives some allowances for grassroots over strict application of some laws. There are also allowances for youth. I'd say grassroots youth get the go as long as no safety issue. I think you used some common sense letting the kid play with bib and sock.

A kid calling me an idiot gets a yellow 9 out of 10 times. You must have got the other one out of ten :) it really depends on how it is said and general context but if it needed a strong word then yellow would probably have been my option. What you did worked so can't fault it too much.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, thought it would be harsh to stop him from playing but a thought in my mind would go to if I was being assessed for promotion would this scupper my chances etc.

He said something along the lines of "you must be an idiot ref" he turned his back but I heard the word idiot and told him any more and he was getting a caution. He understood and carried on but maybe I was a bit soft on him!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, thought it would be harsh to stop him from playing but a thought in my mind would go to if I was being assessed for promotion would this scupper my chances etc.

He said something along the lines of "you must be an idiot ref" he turned his back but I heard the word idiot and told him any more and he was getting a caution. He understood and carried on but maybe I was a bit soft on him!

Might only be my own view so sorry in advance if it appears am off at a tangent, but I personally would refrain from the, if i was being watched, mindset, again, might only be me, but, when am going to observe a referee, its their ability (or lack of) am interested in, how is their reading of foul play, can they apply the correct sanction, how do they read the game, what level of managment is on display,
Sadly am sure there will be an assessor who takes issue with a wrong sock and a bib, but hopefully that breed is in decline. A player wearing a bib is not a reflection of your ability to referee a game of football. If anything, and it had to be mentioned, I would class it as a positive that you were willing to let him play, in the spirit of the game and all that.

The idiot quote, nobody would question a sanction, of course we would need to have been there. From your description, a yellow or a warning would suffice, as long as you are consistent with your approach and as it caused you no further problems, some credit is due.
My own way of dealing with that, from what i read into the post, is to simply shout in passing "oi you, enough" and hopefully get on with it....this of course is not set in stone. He said his piece, I said mine and we move on.
Anyone issuing a card here though would be supported, no arguement.

Might only be my own view so sorry in advance if it appears am off at a tangent, but I personally would refrain from the, if i was being watched, mindset, again, might only be me, but, when am going to observe a referee, its their ability (or lack of) am interested in, how is their reading of foul play, can they apply the correct sanction, how do they read the game, what level of managment is on display,
Sadly am sure there will be an assessor who takes issue with a wrong sock and a bib, but hopefully that breed is in decline. A player wearing a bib is not a reflection of your ability to referee a game of football. If anything, and it had to be mentioned, I would class it as a positive that you were willing to let him play, in the spirit of the game and all that.

The idiot quote, nobody would question a sanction, of course we would need to have been there. From your description, a yellow or a warning would suffice, as long as you are consistent with your approach and as it caused you no further problems, some credit is due.
My own way of dealing with that, from what i read into the post, is to simply shout in passing "oi you, enough" and hopefully get on with it....this of course is not set in stone. He said his piece, I said mine and we move on.
Anyone issuing a card here though would be supported, no arguement.

I think that's some very sound advice to be fair. I'm definitely not questioning my ability to make decisions when an assessor is there, I think more so that are they going to be really picky, which you say hopefully they're in decline. I'll try to just get on with my own game in future and when someone does come to assess me hopefully they'd be understanding in a situation like that. I think if it was a real issue the other coach would've said so it can't have been too bad.

I also think if I was losing a bit of control and players were constantly calling me an idiot then I'd be a lot more likely to control that from the beginning, with Yelllows if necessary. At this point in the game it was quite late on, he'd just fouled the opponent and was probably frustrated so I judged on that, and the fact that he took the talking to very well.

I would have cautioned dissent all day long, but we all have different tolerances. I would have let him play if an assesor wants to mark me down on this I will take it but at the level I reff at it is about people getting out and having a game of footie. The higher the level you ref at the stricter you have to be about kit and underlayers.

Morning all,

Thought I'd share a little update for the first two games in the middle.

First game, U13's knockout cup match went swimmingly IMO . No big calls, no cards needed, felt like I handled the game pretty well, the home team scored with the very last kick of the game. Both coaches shook my hand and said I did a great job.

Second game, U14's league match. Again, felt went very swimmingly. Had to go with a drop ball after the linesman decided to walk on the field and stop play himself after a player went down with a leg injury. Absolutely baffled me! Didn't think even kids this age and younger need the game to be stopped in play and be treated if they're down with any injury rather than just a head? Think I made the mistake of restarting the dropped ball from where the player went down rather than where the ball was when I stopped the game, so I'll improve there, though no one noticed. The captain of the home team called me an idiot, who got a strong word and didn't hear a peep out of him the rest of the game.

Just got a call from the refsec who has told me both teams gave me a fantastic mark and he's now appointed me to three games this weekend. THREE!! Even my 21 year old legs are going to struggle with that I feel!

One little question too, one player was wearing a bib as he didn't have a strip, his socks were also the same colour as the home team. I asked him if he had any other socks but he said no. Let him play and no one even said a word, should he not have been allowed to play or is this all part of the SOTG?

Sorry for the long post!

RE socks and bib. Spirit of the game, play on. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience which is great. At 21 you can do 3 junior matches comfortably. Enjoy!

Back