A&H

First Official Game

farrell

im 15 and passed the exam around october time. you have to do six organised games and be assessed doing them to become level 7 ref. since october ive been reffing under 7s-under 10s. i have been getting paid but its not official, the games are assigned by first come first serve. The games are very relaxed (this isnt just my style) for example the wall is never measured, foul throws are relaxed etc. I've never reffed an 11 a side game.

The 6 games which i'm doing soon are 11 a side and could be academy games. This means I'm going to need teamsheets and i need to know what the winner of the coin toss picks.

How do i get teamsheets from the managers?

Any advice?

also should i check all the players equipment(bearing in mind they will probably be <15)

also do i have to note down any subs?

If so how do i find out about half time subs?

Final question, Do i get payed for these 6 games and if so how do i collect my payment?

The Referee Store
I will try to help you one some of them.

You should get payed for them (I did). Just go to the manager after the match, shake his hand, make a comment on the match (like well played, or good luck in the next round etc...), I have to fill in a match card, so I would go to him, fill it in, and then, the managers has always give me my money. Except from yesterday, so I went up to him and said 'Do you have the referees fees?', and he said 'Oh yes, sorry', and gave me my money.

I don't usually check the equipment, but you could do. I tell the managers to make sure the players don't have jewellery on, and then I see the players go and take their earrings out etc, so that works for me. I tell the managers to make sure the players have shin pads on, apart from that, I leave it. Also, I don't receive team sheets. Hope this helps.

The 6 games which i'm doing soon are 11 a side and could be academy games. This means I'm going to need teamsheets and i need to know what the winner of the coin toss picks.

How do i get teamsheets from the managers?
It depends on what admin you need to do. When I referee adult leagues, we get given the teamsheets before kick off, and have to keep them for 58 days, that is it. I usually put all my names in my book, however. When I did youth football a few seasons back, we didn't get teamsheets. So it all depends on the competition rules, so check these using the relevant handbooks or using senior referees experience.

also should i check all the players equipment(bearing in mind they will probably be <15)
Most definitely, especially if it is an Academy game. This players will probably go to play at a higher level, so will need to learn at a young age. It also stamps down your authority and shows you mean business.

also do i have to note down any subs?
Again, depending on competition rules. If they have rolling subs, there is no requirement. If they only have 3 subs, go over to the half line (remember the one on, one off rule) and take their name and check their equipment. Some leagues require you to fill out a match card with what time the subs come in - again this reading the competition rules will help here.

If so how do i find out about half time subs?
Just ask the manager when you're both walking to the pitch, made any subs? If they have rolling subs, then this isn't a worry. You will find substitutes present themselves to you.

Final question, Do i get payed for these 6 games and if so how do i collect my payment?
Yes, you will get paid for each game - again check your competition rules or ask the appointment secretary for the fees.

As drahc said, at youth level, I don't receive team sheets. Also, it is roll on roll off subs, and so I couldn't help you with them questions.

Thanks but one more question. Do I have stoppage time if it's an academy game even if they are <15? For under 7s-10s I dont play it but i stop my watch if there's a very long injury or something like that but not for goals and subs.

Would I need two watches to do it?

I would add stoppage time, for things such as injuries, goals and probably subs (if they take their time). I would advise you to wear 2 watches, but you don't have to, just to be safe.

Winner of coin toss get to pick which side to attack, losing side gets K/O.

I don't stop the watch for goals. They are like throw-ins, corners, goal kicks, free kicks etc. They are just part and parcel of the game. I would add a bit of time if goal celebrations became excessive (and a warning), but other than that just let the time run. As stated above, substitutions and injuries I would add time for.

Yes, you could just stop it, and once it gets to what ever time you are playing, blow up. That way, extra time would be included. That is what I did when I had one watch.

always check players equipment never ask a manager to do it for you! it is your responsibility as a referee to carry out all equipment checks

I check equipment, don't trust the managers at all!
Really? Obviously 'have a look' and be aware, but they do not require us to do as they do in some parts of England and line up going through each and every stud.

I always check it cause we've been told to by the local referees society

Back