A&H

First OA game

bmace3

Been asked to do a game on Sunday for the team I’m signed on for (have only played once 20 mins last Sunday), the league has sin bins in place so need to get my head around that.
Any tips on transitioning from youth to OA football?

Thanks in advane

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Been asked to do a game on Sunday for the team I’m signed on for (have only played once 20 mins last Sunday), the league has sin bins in place so need to get my head around that.
Any tips on transitioning from youth to OA football?

Thanks in advane
Have you been asked by the club to referee the game, or are you appointed by the league? If the former, clear the appointment with the Referee Appointments Secretary. If the latter, check with the Appointments Secretary that they are aware that you are a registered player of that club.
The transition should not be a big change, dependent on your age - if you are younger than most of the players they will try harder to make you doubt yourself and your ability.
If you are in England, are you not already familiar with Sin Bins? Youth football tends to use them(?)
Most importantly, don't tell anyone it's your first OA game - go out and do the job,
Enjoy.

Have you been asked by the club to referee the game, or are you appointed by the league? If the former, clear the appointment with the Referee Appointments Secretary. If the latter, check with the Appointments Secretary that they are aware that you are a registered player of that club.
The transition should not be a big change, dependent on your age - if you are younger than most of the players they will try harder to make you doubt yourself and your ability.
If you are in England, are you not already familiar with Sin Bins? Youth football tends to use them(?)
Most importantly, don't tell anyone it's your first OA game - go out and do the job,
Enjoy.
I've been asked by the league appointments secretary and I made it known straight away I was registered to them. He said it wasn't an issue.

I've not needed to use them so far. Primarily do my sons club upto under 15 and not needed them so far. I have an understanding its just the issue of second yellows etc..

I've had good feedback so far so I'm hoping that carries on!

I've been asked by the league appointments secretary and I made it known straight away I was registered to them. He said it wasn't an issue.

I've not needed to use them so far. Primarily do my sons club upto under 15 and not needed them so far. I have an understanding its just the issue of second yellows etc..

If unsure about sin bins, I suggest you re-read the relevant section of the law on the IFAB website, and then watch the online training video which explains it fully - just search for "sin bins football" and then videos.

m

If you are officially appointed, i.e. the RefsSec appointed you to the game, your name is on the fixture bulletin, Full Time, etc, then it is fine. If the home club have appointed you they must declare your association to the away club, as that is mandated in the standard code of rules. Not really your problem though, it is down to the home club.

The attached is really useful and you can find similar on county FA sites.

Attachments

• B293346B-5A85-4CF6-9E6D-F90E9BC49F59.png
    B293346B-5A85-4CF6-9E6D-F90E9BC49F59.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
If you are officially appointed, i.e. the RefsSec appointed you to the game, your name is on the fixture bulletin, Full Time, etc, then it is fine. If the home club have appointed you they must declare your association to the away club, as that is mandated in the standard code of rules. Not really your problem though, it is down to the home club.
No I’ve been asked by the league ref sec due to a shortage of refs. I did state in my email straight away I was signed on and had actually played the week previous, he said it wasn’t an issue and was happy for me to officiate the fixture.

No I’ve been asked by the league ref sec due to a shortage of refs. I did state in my email straight away I was signed on and had actually played the week previous, he said it wasn’t an issue and was happy for me to officiate the fixture.
You need to get the Reg secretary to remove you from the list of players for that team. If you are to be neutrally appointed, then you need to seen as neutral.

You need to get the Reg secretary to remove you from the list of players for that team. If you are to be neutrally appointed, then you need to seen as neutral.
I was asked as they know I am qualified but they know I’m a player for the other team. I may have to turn the fixture down if it’s not a good idea as I still like to play occasionally.

I'd say don't worry about it - like you say, you've been appointed because of a shortage of refs. Just explain the situation to the other team before the game, and tell them to take it up with the league if there's any issues!

I'd say don't worry about it - like you say, you've been appointed because of a shortage of refs. Just explain the situation to the other team before the game, and tell them to take it up with the league if there's any issues!
I might email the ref sec asking him to just let the other team know. If it’s a problem then I’ll just drop out and explain why. Thanks for the advice though.

I might email the ref sec asking him to just let the other team know. If it’s a problem then I’ll just drop out and explain why. Thanks for the advice though.
My twopence is that refereeing a team you are signed on for and intend to carry on playing for is a bad idea.
It is an avoidable situation just by swapping you with another referee.
This game will be more hassle thab it's worth once the other team realise you are a player of the opposition.

My twopence is that refereeing a team you are signed on for and intend to carry on playing for is a bad idea.
It is an avoidable situation just by swapping you with another referee.
This game will be more hassle thab it's worth once the other team realise you are a player of the opposition.
I’ll ring him tomorrow and explain what my situation is. He’s already said he has no problem with it but I’ll just address my concerns. Don’t want my image to be tarnished before a ball is kicked!

Back