A&H

First Middle

NewRefBrendan

Fresh off my ref course last weekend, I had my first middle this evening. Really happy with it over all.

Some learning points:

-managers can be very unorganised- kicked off 5mins late as they were dilly dallying. Early test out of my Fox 40 sonic blast soon got them into position!

-if managers want to do 3x30 minutes rather than 2x 45s because they want to have a look at lots of players, try your hardest to change their mind! Didn’t enjoy that side of it!

-you have to be on it from the first whistle! Gave a stone wall pen pretty early on and sold it really well because I was in a great position to give it. Only complaint was from guilty defender, no1 else. Keeper saved it!

-deffo get a second watch, and make sure it isn’t a crappy one, as my second one died on me after 35mins! Not ideal!

Final thing though is a question... I overruled the CAR a couple of times on offside, I was wide enough to get a decent enough view and I thought this flag was a bit early and that the attacker was onside. I gave a loud, clear shout of “play on, thank you though Lino” and the attacking team scored, so I copped a bit for that. Is it better to just go with the CAR on offsides to avoid the backlash?

On the whole I’m really happy, and got plenty of thanks you’s and well dones soncouldnt have been that horrendous!

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Final thing though is a question... I overruled the CAR a couple of times on offside, I was wide enough to get a decent enough view and I thought this flag was a bit early and that the attacker was onside. I gave a loud, clear shout of “play on, thank you though Lino” and the attacking team scored, so I copped a bit for that. Is it better to just go with the CAR on offsides to avoid the backlash?

You're going to hear different opinions on this. You wrote "I thought this flag was a bit early and that the attacker was onside." Did you think the attacker was onside, or did you know the attacker was onside? If you are going to overrule, you have to be right. I would save overruling for clear mistakes--otherwise, the AR (CAR or NAR) are going to give up on you. But you are ultimately responsible for the call.

Nit pick: "play on" is usually reserved for advantage.

You're going to hear different opinions on this. You wrote "I thought this flag was a bit early and that the attacker was onside." Did you think the attacker was onside, or did you know the attacker was onside? If you are going to overrule, you have to be right. I would save overruling for clear mistakes--otherwise, the AR (CAR or NAR) are going to give up on you. But you are ultimately responsible for the call.

Nit pick: "play on" is usually reserved for advantage.

I see your point on the CAR and appreciate the advice! I think I am going to go with their call unless it’s blatantly wrong.

With regards to the play on reserved for advantage... on my course this weekend just gone, we were told that “advantage, play on” and a signal (I prefer two arms) is for when you’ve seen an infringement but you are playing an advantage, and that “play on” was a general instruction to encourage the game to keep going...

What would your verbal response be when overruling a CAR?

If you're getting told to use play on, don't sweat it. I was taught to reserve it because play on is used with advantage and you don't want players thinking you're calling for advantage when you really mean there was not an offense.

I think if waving down an AR OS call I would be calling out "keep playing; not offside." Your thank you to the CAR is a nice touch. (One of the things I tell my ARs in the pregame, especially inexperienced ones, is that if I wave them down on something be sure to remind me to talk about it at half of after the game so I can explain what I saw.)

If you're getting told to use play on, don't sweat it. I was taught to reserve it because play on is used with advantage and you don't want players thinking you're calling for advantage when you really mean there was not an offense.

I think if waving down an AR OS call I would be calling out "keep playing; not offside." Your thank you to the CAR is a nice touch. (One of the things I tell my ARs in the pregame, especially inexperienced ones, is that if I wave them down on something be sure to remind me to talk about it at half of after the game so I can explain what I saw.)
I'd say the clue that you're playing advantage is shouting "advantage" more so than "play on";)

I'd say the clue that you're playing advantage is shouting "advantage" more so than "play on";)
I'd completely agree with that sentiment if you're not going for promotion in England. However, if you are looking to progress then using the full phrase "Play On, Advantage" is the accepted practice. Which then does indeed mean that you shouldn't be using the phrase 'Play On' on other occasions, instead substituting phrases like 'Keep Going' or 'Keep Playing'

I'd completely agree with that sentiment if you're not going for promotion in England. However, if you are looking to progress then using the full phrase "Play On, Advantage" is the accepted practice. Which then does indeed mean that you shouldn't be using the phrase 'Play On' on other occasions, instead substituting phrases like 'Keep Going' or 'Keep Playing'
Personally never had any problem just saying advantage, that would be an extremely picky thing for an assessor to mention, let alone affect your mark with.

From one of my 2017 observations ...

Clear communication of intention to play advantage or to award a free kick.
The verbal and visual indications were clear with the words “play on advantage” heard

Advantage is one of the smaller criteria but with marking so tight, every little helps :)

managers can be very unorganised- kicked off 5mins late as they were dilly dallying. Early test out of my Fox 40 sonic blast soon got them into position!
Used to fuss/stress about this a lot. Especially for the team sheets. Now I casually ask them once or twice before the game. If we kick off late and i need to finish the game on time (due to other schedules) I simply ask the captains at the toss to choose between shortened halves or shortened half time. On one occasion we had to do both.

deffo get a second watch, and make sure it isn’t a crappy one, as my second one died on me after 35mins! Not ideal!
Must be a world first. Not only a referee having two watches on first game but 2nd watch dying in the middle of 1st game ever :) . It took me 5 years before I started wearing a second watch and have never had watch dying on me in the middle of a game.

Final thing though is a question...
Tend to agree with @socal lurker if this was NAR. Not so sure for a CAR. I don't use a CAR even if i am offered one. But that is a different story.

On the whole I’m really happy, and got plenty of thanks you’s and well dones soncouldnt have been that horrendous!
What age group was this? Either way well done. Enjoying it is a big plus and it helps to start your career on a high note. You will get some tough ones though form time to time.

What age group was this? Either way well done. Enjoying it is a big plus and it helps to start your career on a high note. You will get some tough ones though form time to time.

It was an OA pre-season friendly between one clubs reserves and another’s first XI. Got my next one next week, 2 different sides so I can go again and take onboard all the feedback from this thread, so thank you everyone who had contributed 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: one
Used to fuss/stress about this a lot. Especially for the team sheets. Now I casually ask them once or twice before the game. If we kick off late and i need to finish the game on time (due to other schedules) I simply ask the captains at the toss to choose between shortened halves or shortened half time. On one occasion we had to do both.

Must be a world first. Not only a referee having two watches on first game but 2nd watch dying in the middle of 1st game ever :) . It took me 5 years before I started wearing a second watch and have never had watch dying on me in the middle of a game.

Tend to agree with @socal lurker if this was NAR. Not so sure for a CAR. I don't use a CAR even if i am offered one. But that is a different story.

well done on having 2 watches.thats exactly why we should always wear 2

A little tip for you: when managers want to to 3 30's, I always say we will play two 45 half's but I'll make stoppages at 30 and 60 if they need to take on fluids, organise the tactics and team etc.

Gives you the best of both worlds. Coaches are both happy because they get to organise their teams (give them as much time as they need but add the time on), and you're not liable to be accused of bending the LOTG.

What's the problem with 3x30?
Referee only those things which need refereeing or don't do training games (friendlies). I know the Law btw

Referee only those things which need refereeing or don't do training games (friendlies). I know the Law btw

LOTG says that a game must be of two equal halves. Inevitably you will get some players who want to play two 45 minutes and some who want three 30 minutes. Having stoppages at 30 and 60 is a happy compromise, plus it just looks more professional and proper.

The same problem as playing two unequal halves or playing only one whole game of (say 60 or 90 minuets) without halves. I understand its a trivial matter for a non-competitive game but what do you say when you accept 3X30 and then they ask no 'foul throws' in the game either? "we shall". "Oh I almost forgot, we don't want any yellow or red cards in the game". "I can't do that". "But how can you change one thing and not be able to change another. It's our game". Do you really want have that conversation with them. Just stick to the LOTG.

The same problem as playing two unequal halves or playing only one whole game of (say 60 or 90 minuets) without halves. I understand its a trivial matter for a non-competitive game but what do you say when you accept 3X30 and then they ask no 'foul throws' in the game either? "we shall". "Oh I almost forgot, we don't want any yellow or red cards in the game". "I can't do that". "But how can you change one thing and not be able to change another. It's our game". Do you really want have that conversation with them. Just stick to the LOTG.
Coming from a golf rules officianado background, i massively get the ethos of 'letter of the law', but in this sport in which so much of the book is selectively passed over, using common sense in a training game seems sensible to me. I'd be flexible on this because it gives the teams two tactical breaks in which to make multiple subs without disrupting the game. Denying this courtesy could be damaging from the outset. The other option which i tend to prefer, is dodging training games (friendlies) and altered expectations all together

Back