A&H

First Match With Refsix

SWRef

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

This Saturday I had my first game using the RefSix app on my smart watch. I had a couple of teething problems with my watch going into sleep mode and I believe I entered a sub incorrectly, although I think that's due to the home team providing incorrect numbers on their teamsheet.

I felt like I was spending too much time looking at my watch, which could look a bit unprofessional? I also feel it's a bit easier to hold up a restart while you're writing something in your notebook, rather than tapping a watch. I didn't get any comments from players or managers about it, mind.

I was just wondering how you guys feel using the app? Do you still keep a back-up paper copy of incidents during the match?

The Referee Store
I’ve been using it for 2 seasons now. I carry a notebook but haven’t used it once in that time. You’ll soon get the hang of it and will take no time at all to log a goal/card/sub etc

All about the individual but not for me, what if you make a mistake, do you have to go back and delete something then re-enter etc.

Pencil and note pad for me.
You can edit quite easily any mistakes you may make

Started using REFSIX this season, done 3 pre-season games with it and have to say I’m fairly impressed. Still carry a notebook as a backup but haven’t had any issues with the app so far. However I still have some reservations, particularly when winter hits, not sure how easy it’ll be to use with frozen fingers.

I recommend playing around with it in a ‘mock game’ at home. Get used to making subs, cards, swiping up/down, just general things you get used to. Also, there are setting on Apple Watches where the screen will turn on when you look at the watch and whether you want the app you’re using to come on when you look or your home screen (obviously you’ll want the app). I definitely recommend playing at home and just getting used to it. It’s really good when you get used to it!

I’ve used it for four games so far this season and tbh it’s fantastic - highly recommend it. Like others I do carry a notepad just in case but it’s great for managing sin bins.

Back