A&H

First match of the season done.

SM

The avuncular one
My first game of the league season last night. It lashed it down all game. However, there were no incidents of note at all. No cautions, a couple of talking to's but nothing else. Enjoyed it, even though I tweaked a hamstring in the warm up of all things. :hmmm:

BUT the night before I went to watch the league champions kick off their season against local rivals. What a game of football.

The game had been lively throughout. Home team take an early lead. A home defender picked up an early caution (running around with far too much uncontrolled aggression) and was then goaded by his opponents until he snapped and had handbags with an opponent without a caution (yet!). Stupid, adopting an aggressive attitude, second caution, off he goes.

The home team then score again, the away team score so it is 2-1. Game is back and forth, crazy intensity. Home team attack, nearly score and the ball goes out for a throw.

(Here is the incident!) a home team attacker runs across and shouts at the opposition CAR. The CAR is a a cheating git and is attempting to flag for offside all the time (to be fair both sides CARs where at it). The player stays about 5 metres in play, little bit of gesticulation and shouting. The CAR loses his mind and storms onto the pitch, putting his forehead into the head of the home team player. This is in front of where the home team support stand, the place explodes.

If this is you, what do you do next? :confused:

The Referee Store
If the CAR is a named sub - red card. You can only hope.
If not caution the striker for dissent, try to calm him down. Ask away team to replace CAR.

That is pretty much exactly it. Caution for striker, the flag grabbed off the CAR (not a sub) expertly by the referee and he ordered the CAR out of the vicinity of pitch.

The ref in question handled the situation really well considering it was a powder keg situation. he got to the incident so quickly and his body language was so good and clear that it defused it brilliantly. If a punch had been thrown before the red got on top of it, I believe there would have been a mass confrontation with players and crowd involved.

So no explosion then, just the potential for one.

Tame really, nothing like having 22 players plus spectators in a mass brawl, and it's just you, your whistle and a pencil!

Been there. I was also equipped with a notepad.

Referees accurate report writing godsend!

Ha ha I read that match report in the Western Telegraph, what limited info they gave on it and did wonder what the CAR was sent away for. I had one fighting with a substitute season before last, honestly couldn't believe my eyes.

I am thankfully yet to experience an all out brawl as a ref, seen a few as a young lad playing but none as a ref yet *touches nearest wooden item*. Had my first middle tonight and went as well as I could have hoped, four bookings but all for obvious, accepted stuff, not a thriller but both teams happy at the end.

I have another game tonight. Basement division + Friday evening + (expected) rain. Should be great!!

Back