A&H

First match advice

The Referee Store
Best wishes to you and well done for taking up the whistle. For me:

Read up on the laws e.g. download the IFAB app;
Ask the League for a copy of their current handbook. Be sure on duration each half? Are rotating substitutions allowed? How many substitutions are allowed? Size ball expected?
Be punctual (30 minutes before KO);
Have a checklist of what you need e.g. cards, pad & pencil (I carry a spare), watch (I wear 2 - 1 for continuous and 1 for stoppages), 2p coin, flags
Be thorough with checking the nets, especially side netting;
Get a match ball 15 minutes before KO
Ask to speak with the club assistant who will run the line from you; tell them what you need from them;
Get the timing right about decisions;
Do not tolerant dissent from players or coaches.

Enjoy it! I look forward to reading about how it goes.

Hi! I've just started doing games with U11 and U12 and honestly especially with under 12s I've been really enjoying the games lately, entertaining and enjoyable. I use Refsix on my Samsung watch just so I can see heatmaps and stuff, but just enjoy yourself, speak with both the coaches positively before and after the game, job's a goodun! Don't be afraid to use your cards for dissent as well or any violent conduct. 👍👍

Have fun! Let us know how I goes.

I’m in my first season too and find that the main thing is to be confident in your decision making and not second guess yourself as you will start second guessing all your decisions. As the above have said, don’t be afraid to use your cards, I made a mistake in my first game not giving a violent conduct red card which set me up for problems later in the game. See if you can get someone from the league/ county or even a mate to come and watch and give you honest feedback to help you improve.
Main thing is to enjoy it and learn from any mistakes that you will inevitably make like anyone will even at the top level. Obviously everyone here will do our best to answer whatever questions you have 👍

Hi, I am refereeing an under 12 boys match, should I be more lenient on giving yellow/red cards as they are young, or should I not?

Hi, I am refereeing an under 12 boys match, should I be more lenient on giving yellow/red cards as they are young, or should I not?
At under 12 it depends IMO but OFFINABUS and violent conduct are the 2 most likely unfortunately and you can’t really be lenient with these but use your judgement at the time 👍

Reactions: one
Be more lenient when leaniancy is allowed within the framework of the lotg and it is an innocent (or at least not a malice) offence.

As said above there is nothing innocent about being violent or being insulting/offensive.

@GabeB in the 'new referee's sub-board of this forum there are many thread about 'first game' with a wealth of good advice in them. Go through them if you haven't done so already.

Welcome to refereeing and to this forum.

3 things: (u12 match)
1) How many watches should I wear?
2) Does it matter what colour the watches are?
3) Should I be kind as they are young?

3 things: (u12 match)
1) How many watches should I wear?
2) Does it matter what colour the watches are?
3) Should I be kind as they are young?

1) Two.

2) No.

3) No. (But everyone's going to disagree on this one. :p)

1) 2 watches
2) no, not stated in the LOTG - I use black as it’s a preference
3)be kind, but remember you’re not there as a friendly face, you are in charge and are there to enforce the rules. You can do both by being respectful and explaining decisions to them rather than being “that ref” and just ignoring the players, you will notice parents and managers like when you do this as you are partly trying to educate the players at this age IMO

1) 2 watches
2) no, not stated in the LOTG - I use black as it’s a preference
3)be kind, but remember you’re not there as a friendly face, you are in charge and are there to enforce the rules. You can do both by being respectful and explaining decisions to them rather than being “that ref” and just ignoring the players, you will notice parents and managers like when you do this as you are partly trying to educate the players at this age IMO
Yep. Take throw ins for example. The players need told if they’ve done a foul throw but, for me, to a certain age it’s more beneficial for them to get practice and retake it. Following that up with a “Well Done, good throw” or something of the like if they then do it right seems to go down well with coaches as well.
(Up here they go to 11-a-sides at u13, so u12 and younger is the age I let them retake it)

Yep. Take throw ins for example. The players need told if they’ve done a foul throw but, for me, to a certain age it’s more beneficial for them to get practice and retake it. Following that up with a “Well Done, good throw” or something of the like if they then do it right seems to go down well with coaches as well.
(Up here they go to 11-a-sides at u13, so u12 and younger is the age I let them retake it)
Same here, you can be positive and be lenient on things like throw ins

3. Be firm but fair

Don't change your decision unless you've given it quickly and know you've got it wrong, and play hasn't restarted.

Stick to your guns, especially on close calls (throw in is a good one). Tell the players you're giving what you saw from your angle.

What is the basic step by step pre match run through for a grassroots referee?
Have a look on the new referees section and look through some of the threads as lots of people have done step by steps previously

Just completed my first game went really well. How much should I have been paid?

Back