A&H

first games this weekend

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
i have my first 2 games this weekend

Saturday- u8s league game- but i am worried that if i need to show a card i am going to look bad but if i decide not to i will also look bad.

sunday- u12s cup game- i am worried i may mess up and it is a big game :/

The Referee Store
I am relatively newly qualified. I recently had a U9 match. I had nothing to do, apart from one free kick, which was obvious. Now I'm not saying let everything go, but they will be there to enjoy playing football, not like they are trying to win the Champions League. Try and coach them through the game, teach them, but if you have to, then do use cards, as a referee you have to follow the Laws and enforce them. But, as I said, you shouldn't have much to worry about. For the U12, I also had one of them, but my only problem was that the U12 followed straight after the U12! So, I was to lenient, and let the game flow too much, but that was only because I had so little to do in the U9! I realise I should've toughened up for the U12, and so the next match I had was an Under 12. To calm the match down, the first foul I gave was in the first 30 second, and it was a border line foul, but it let the players know I was there, I would give free kicks, and that they couldn't get away with it. It set out what I was going to do for the match, and that way, there was no arguing for any other fouls I gave. So, my advice for the U12, is to give a free kick that is a border line free kick. That way, the match calms down, and the players know you are there to mean business. Also, just have another look over the laws regarding the penalties to decide a match, because you want to make sure that you know how the correct procedure goes on, so if it comes to them, you know exactly how it works, I had a cup game at weekend, and that went to penalties. Good luck for the matches.

Ryan, I am sure you will do fine. Just remember that you are the one qualified to be in the middle, no one else. You have been given the whistle for these games because you have been deemed good enough by those that know.

(Edited because Jojo got in first!)

If it helps, my pre-match routine starts the night before - packing your kit bag. It can be helpful to keep a check list handy, and make sure you have everything you will need in the bag - you will sleep much easier knowing you have packed properly. A 'skim-read' of LOTG in the evening, running scenarios in my mind's eye, especially any incidents I have had to deal with recently. Check any Junior Guidelines and make sure you are familiar with any modified rules with the littlies.

Watch an hour of rubbish on TV - for some reason, my Friday night viewing recently has been 'Finding Bigfoot', or 'UFO Hunters' - something stupid that takes the mind away from tomorrow and helps you relax.

Go to bed. After good night's sleep, have a good breakfast. Re-check the bag is packed properly. You should now be feeling pretty confident that you have everything you will need, and feel 'ready' for it.

At the ground, run through your pitch inspection and pre-match routine etc as per your instructors told you to. Warm-up well, talk to the teams if you have been taught to, check the team cards and paperwork and WALK TALL!!!

As far as the games go, I would be very surprised if anything happens at the u8s that would deserve a card. At this age, the players are usually pretty fair and honest, fouls and infringements are generally pretty obvious. Injury stoppages might be more frequent - remember that although it was an innocuous foul, and not a serious injury - to the 8 year old it feels like death is knocking! Especially if they are winded. Allow the coach on at the earliest possible moment.

Pre-match, make sure all the adults are aware that ONLY THE COACH is allowed on the pitch during the game - we can't have Mum running on to help Little Johnny with his boot laces on the edge of the area! work WITH the coaches during the game - if Little Johnny's laces are undone, quiet word with him to get them done up and signal the coach it needs to be done.

Pretty much the same with the u12s except that at this age they will be starting to learn how to manipulate you - exaggerating when fouled, getting a bit more gobby but generally still being pretty honest.

The spectators can be the hardest to handle at age group level, and if there is a parent getting a bit carried away, have a word with the respective coach - ask them to deal with it. It is probably a regular problem with that parent, and the coach knows them better than you and how best to deal with them.

Enjoy the run around, I would be very surprised if you had that much to do during the games, but do it firmly and with confidence. Remember, first priority is SAFETY and with the little 'uns, 2nd priority IT SHOULD BE FUN FOR THEM!

Couldn't agree more with MattyontheWhistle. I watch some rubbish that is on on a Friday night, to make sure I am calm, and to pass time. Also, if that doesn't work, I go play some xBox, because the games seem to go quick on there! Then I go to bed early, wake up quite early, and start getting prepared. Also, I pack my bag, and take my time, because it lets me focus on the game, and make sure I know what is going in, and then in the morning, I check through my bag again. Then, make sure you arrive with plenty of time, and then go and meet the managers, have a chat to them. I usually try to make it personal, such as if the pitch is a little frosty, but the game is ok to go on, then I will say 'I've played on worst than this before'. Just to let the managers know, I am human, not just a referee robot. Make sure you are confident, and good luck!

Back