A&H

First Game

Reece

Level 6 Referee
Hi i received my first fixture for a 11 a side game which is on the 11th of September

I just want to make sure i have got this order right
1.Arrive at pitch about 30 min before game
2.Meet the managers
3.Check the nets and pitch
4.warm up
5.Talk to assisstants and captains
6.Ref game
7.Collect money

And can anyone help me with step five what do i say to the assistants and captains ?

And any advice ?

The Referee Store
Hi.

What age is the game?

• 1. I'm not sure what the guidelines in your area / league is, but ours is at least 45 mins before a junior match.

Anyway, yes you have got it more or less right.

• 2/3. Maybe you can incorporate yours pitch inspection as you are warming up? Also, be wary of anything on the pitch as you are walking towards the managers, this means that if you spot something, there is much less walking bakwards and forewards.

Are you comfortable with what you need to say to the managers and what you need to look out for in the inspection?

• 4. In regards to a warmup, do enough to warm up properly, but don't over-do it. I'm guessing this is your firts 'proper' match? If so you won't be sure at what the physichal demands of s 11 a side game is, so don't overdo it.

• 5. As far as talking to your assistants, I say very little, basically:

''Hi, I'm xxxxx, thanks for doing this for me, flag when the whole of the ball has crossed the whole of the line, give a direction if you can. If you see misconduct behind my back, by all means let me know, but I can only act on what I see. Leave all fouls and offsides to me, and don't be offended if I go against you, I may have seen something else. Thanks.''

As for the captains:

''Hi, I'm Lewys. 2 things, keep the language down, I have cards, and will use them, secondly, once I have made my decision, I'm am not going to change it, so don't bother arguing.'' Then do the toss, remember the winner gets to call the choice of ends.

I know some give long speeches, but the reason I say so little is that they very rarely listen to a word you say, so why bother? Also, note that I say I have cards and will use them, but don't say anything like ''If you swear, I will send you off'', that is like pressing the suicide button!

Any questions?Keep them coming.

Lastly, be honest and enjoy :)

Last edited:
The game is under 12 and i am a little confused what do you say to the managers when you first get there ?

Basically, hi, I'm Reece, how are you etc, bit of small talk about your journey there. Ask for the subs names, and if they don't have them, tell they they will be back. Confirm the shirt colour and ko time :)

I'm level 9 and yet to ref a game, but I've got a question on point 7 (and forgive me if this all sounds a bit money grabbing etc, I would be willing to do the refereeing for free as I see it more of a hobby) what is the general etiquette around the money side of things. When being asked to ref a game should I ask at that point what the fee I'll be getting is and then ask who I should speak to after the game to get the money. Or on the day should I be asking the home manager etc. I'm so rubbish with these sort of things as find having to talk about money like that really awkward (which is strange as I'm an accountant!)

An Accountant and a ref? Great combination!!

Make it blinking obvious you're the ref when you arrive at a ground - someone will notice you from the home club and come and meet/greet you, show you a changing room (if there is one). I strongly recommend looking at the pitch first, because if there's a problem with it you'll have maximum amount of time to sort it. Normally on parks games the nets are last to go up, so check them when you are about 10 mins from kick off, having got changed/warmed up etc.

The money question is a tough one. The appointments secretary should tell you what the fees are, not the clubs, otherwise a crafty club could short change you! When meeting/greeting the club officer on arrival, ask him when he wants to pay you (you might get some banter from this, so be prepared!)

Remember, refereeing isn't all LOAF and positioning, it's a lot of man management and communication, so be proud of what you're doing, gain confidence from that and being positive on and off the pitch, and players/managers/supporters will see that and think "He knows his stuff, this one!" First impressions count too, so turn up smart, have clean kit and boots, and BE POSITIVE!

the other half is a teacher, so we are the most boring couple in the world.

At the moment I just want to get the 6 games out the way to make it to level 7 but really excited about the ones I do have lined up.

I beat you - we're both accountants! But at least we're not lawyers or actuaries!!

I'm glad you're excited - you'll put in a better performance than if you were dreading it.

First game tip - use the whistle to stop play, and for kick offs. Otherwise, use your voice. You're more human then! And explain your decisions (push here, flick off leg there) and you'll be a big hit.

Starting my Ll.B to (hopefully) become a barrister eventually, next year... Is that more / less boring? :cool:

It ranges from club to club. Some will pay you before the match, and some will pay after. In regards to fees, the league / cup should have set fees and expenses. If its a friendly, just kindly mention that you presume the fee will be the home teams regular league fee + expenses :)

I personally would tend to sort fees out prior to the match - you may have felt the game went really well for you, but you may find that the home team don't see that and sorting fees up-front could save you from an awkward moment at the end of the game.

I've never had a prob so far where a club isn't happy to "sort it now so we don't have to worry about it later" :)

My first game was Ok. i did point the wrong way at times when i meant the other way. And there was one incident where a guy had his hands down below and the ball hit him their and all the players appealed for handball. I didnt give it as i thought it was ball to hand. Any help here ?

Thanks

Hi Reece, from what you describe happening i personal would not have given the handball either as it sounded as though it was ball to hand and he made no movement with his hand towards the ball

I'll echo what Hoppy said. Ball to hand on this occasion. You were correct in not giving it

my first game between two works teams playing an inter squad friendly I missed a handball. the attacker was going towards goal and he took the ball on his chest, the defender cut across him and took the ball. I couldnt see what went on as the attackers body was blocking my view. They did appeal a bit for handball but as I didnt see it I couldnt give it, I thought the defender took the ball on his thigh or stomach. It wasnt until after the game down the pub the defender admitted he did handball and "got away with that one"! It did make me realise how important positioning is. But also to have see it clearly I would have needed to be nearer the corner flag which wouldnt have been the best positioning in the world for me really. But I guess you are always going to have things like this happen and points in the game where you feel you could be better positioned.

We've all been there. The important thing is you have picked a development point yourself from it.
You just need to take it into your next game.

it was annoying to miss it, but to have been able to see it clearly would have involved being in a pretty weird position, perhaps if the linesman were a bit more interested they would have noticed, but it was only a friendly so no real harm done. What I'm glad about is I didnt just blow up because people shouted for it. One of my worries was the second people appealed I'd put the whistle to my lips but I was good at only giving what i could clearly see.

I've missed an elbow before. I was absolutely gutted! Just saw the player on the floor, couldn't do anything as I hadn't anticipated the play well enough and got caught behind play. Elbow was on my blind side, so due to my positioning I wasn't able to see it.
What assessors will pick up on is, don't put the whistle to your lips unless you are going to blow, players see it, then you get the "you were gonna blow there ref" comments.

Back