A&H

First Game

Woodyefc1

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys.
I’ve just finished my training course.
What kit will I need for my first game and is it worth buying an FA tracksuit to look professional when I turn up or not. If not what should I wear to go before getting changed.
Thanks

The Referee Store
Congrats and welcome to the world of refereeing!

Basic stuff you'll need is a kit (Shirt/shorts/socks). Nike is the best quality out there and you can pick up a set quite cheaply at many places. Also a pair of mainly black football boots.

You'll also need: Red/yellow cards, match record sheets to write goals/bookings, whistle(s), pen/pencils, assistant referee flags and a bag to put them all in. Many referee shops online offer bundles for all the essentials.

In regards to the tracksuit, you can buy one if you want to. If you're going to be doing junior football where you turn up already dressed it may be worth getting just a jacket/top. However, if you're going to progress onto open age leagues it's not a bad purchase to make. It looks better than turning up in casual clothes.

I didn't bother with a specific tracksuit up until this season - I just wore a random pair of tracksuit trousers and a black zip-up hoodie that I had anyway.

The only real reason I've broken with that this season is that some of my "smarter" leagues that used to expect arrival in suit and tie have downgraded to tracksuit, so I decided to smarten up. But I wouldn't bother with that for a referee who's starting out - you'll be spending enough money already, just keep it simply until you know you're going to stick with it.

Hi guys.
I’ve just finished my training course.
What kit will I need for my first game and is it worth buying an FA tracksuit to look professional when I turn up or not. If not what should I wear to go before getting changed.
Thanks
Starter packs are available from companies like A & H and the Referees' Association online shop.
In the early stages, those basics are all you need, plus a Casio stopwatch £9.99 from Argos.
Any smart tracksuit is fine if that's the dress code for the leagues on which you are planning to referee.
Once you settle into refereeing and consider going for promotion, you may wish to look at extra kit (e. g. better flags, choice of whistles)
Looking smart is vital, spending a fortune is not!
Enjoy your refereeing.

Starter packs are available from companies like A & H and the Referees' Association online shop.

Just want to add, some referee's society will do a collection and purchase things like training tops or sports jackets with the Association badge embroidered. You'll basically get them for next to nothing (or for nothing) and they're usually of good quality and can be used as part of your pre-match uniform.

So, if you go a season or two, raise it with the society. In fact, raise it when you join as they may have spares left over from previous seasons. It's all free kit! :)

Back