A&H

First game tomorrow

MacauleyUnwin

Level 7 Referee
Hi! It’s my first game tomorrow and I’ve been overthinking so I just needed some clarity on a few changes.
Firstly if a player received three yellow cards (2 dissent and 1 not) am i right in thinking we would still show a red card?
Secondly on a GK if all of the opposition are outside the box when the ball is kicked and clearly moves, they are then able to touch the ball before it leaves the box aren’t they?
Just some pre match nerves I’m sure but any response would be appreciated
Cheers

The Referee Store
Firstly if a player received three yellow cards (2 dissent and 1 not) am i right in thinking we would still show a red card?
Don't worry about driving at 100mph on your driving test. Master the basics first. Get out there, make mistakes; and learn from them
Secondly on a GK if all of the opposition are outside the box when the ball is kicked and clearly moves, they are then able to touch the ball before it leaves the box aren’t they?
Correct, anyone can touch the ball before it leaves the PA (except the taker), but thje opposition must be outside the PA at the moment the ball is kicked and moves

Good luck with the game. You are correct on both questions.

Edit: note that if a player receives two temporary dismissals (sin bins) and no cautions, my understanding is that you do not show a red card (because the player can be replaced).

Good luck with the game. You are correct on both questions.

Edit: note that if a player receives two temporary dismissals (sin bins) and no cautions, my understanding is that you do not show a red card (because the player can be replaced).
Yup, if the last YC in the sequence is C2, no red card is required

Last edited:
Hi! It’s my first game tomorrow and I’ve been overthinking so I just needed some clarity on a few changes.
Just some pre match nerves I’m sure but any response would be appreciated
Cheers
Where 2 dissent cautions are issued you don't show a red card.
The only way you can get to the scenario you have raised is if the non dissent caution comes first or second. So the third offence you are sin binning the player so you follow that procedure. Yellow card then point to temp dismissal area. The player takes no further part in the match but has not been sent off.

@MacauleyUnwin your name is quite unique so I’m assuming you’re Somerset FA? If so, I’m also a referee on the league you’re officiating on as is another referee on this forum but I won’t throw his name in and catch him off guard! Just had a look at the game you’ve got and the two teams involved are a great bunch, you shouldn’t get any problems with them. Both managers are incredibly friendly. In fact, the home team in your fixture were involved in my first ever game as well and they were brilliant then as well.
I’d you want any guidance or help etc, or information about the league in general, just drop me a message!

however, if I’ve got the wrong person, ignore me! The referee appointments officer on that league mentioned a new ref with the same name as you to me last week!

Reactions: one
Where 2 dissent cautions are issued you don't show a red card.
The only way you can get to the scenario you have raised is if the non dissent caution comes first or second. So the third offence you are sin binning the player so you follow that procedure. Yellow card then point to temp dismissal area. The player takes no further part in the match but has not been sent off.
Are you talking about 2 sin bins and 1 caution? IFAB (on Twitter) seems to suggest that "takes no further part in the match and may not be replaced or substituted" means 'sent-off' and a red card must be shown to signify this.

Are you talking about 2 sin bins and 1 caution? IFAB (on Twitter) seems to suggest that "takes no further part in the match and may not be replaced or substituted" means 'sent-off' and a red card must be shown to signify this.
The red card also signifies leaving the TA and vicinity and missing the next match in all leagues I know, which don't apply when a sin bin is the last yellow. So red card should not be shown.

this cheatsheet makes it easy to figure out when to show and when not to show a red card.

The red card also signifies leaving the TA and vicinity and missing the next match in all leagues I know, which don't apply when a sin bin is the last yellow. So red card should not be shown.

this cheatsheet makes it easy to figure out when to show and when not to show a red card.

The 'cheat sheet' doesn't state what action to take when a player receives a sin bin and then receives a caution while serving the sin bin. Based on the other scenarios on the 'cheat sheet', it suggests no red card in this situation?

The 'cheat sheet' doesn't state what action to take when a player receives a sin bin and then receives a caution while serving the sin bin. Based on the other scenarios on the 'cheat sheet', it suggests no red card in this situation?
These come in business card size printed form (to fit in referee wallet). Here is both sides of the card. Note bottom right of the process side. The iconised side is a quick reference when on field. And in that scenario (curation when in sin bin), it is not a red card for reasons previously stated.

The only time a red card is used is when it is a straight red or when two non-sin-bin cautious. Of course this is not explicit in law but is base on the wording in law and the philosophy behind sin-bin. Note that the laws state 'takes no further part in the match'. This could have easily been replace with sent off if they meant it that way. Its a term already understood by everyone instead of using new terminology. And in the case of two sin bins only it could have said "sent of but can be replace by a substitute". But as it stands, it implies not a send off hence no red card. Different football bodies may implement this differently though.

1583631317378.png

1583631529147.png

Last edited:
These come in business card size printed form (to fit in referee wallet). Here is both sides of the card. Note bottom right of the process side. The iconised side is a quick reference when on field. And in that scenario (curation when in bin), it is not a red card for reasons previously stated.

View attachment 4130

View attachment 4131
Yeah, 'takes no further part in the match and cannot be replaced or substituted' means that the player is sent-off, he/she is shown a red card and must leave the field and the immediate surrounding area according to the IFAB.

Yeah. 'takes no further part in the match and cannot be replaced or substituted' means that the player is sent-off, he/she is shown a red card and must leave the field and the immediate surrounding area according to the IFAB.
Do you have a link?

I give up with the IFAB. It looks like they are deliberately trying to confuse people.

However, how you have worded it
'takes no further part in the match and cannot be replaced or substituted' means that the player is sent-off, he/she is shown a red card and must leave the field and the immediate surrounding area according to the IFAB.

is not what the IFAB tweeter says. You have basically turned the asked question into the answer. The IFAB tweeter says this. No more or less.
The referee shows a yellow card and, as this is the second yellow card, then shows a red card.

And note they did not answer the followup questions. Somehow I think because if they did they will end up contradicting themselves and the law. (EDIT: I don't have a tweeter account so there may be replies not displayed to me)

So the reason IFAB gave is "as this is the second yellow card, then shows a red card". This also means two sin-bins on the field (first line in my cheat-sheet), is also a red card because according to IFAB it it is two yellow cards and a red card. The law is clear that a sent off player can not be replaced. But a player only sin binned twice can be replace. There is a whole lot of confusion and conflict around send off / red card / replacing now that need clarification.

On a side note, the sin bin process from our state football body (FNSW), directs NOT to show a yellow card to sin binned players to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Yeah, 'takes no further part in the match and cannot be replaced or substituted' means that the player is sent-off, he/she is shown a red card and must leave the field and the immediate surrounding area according to the IFAB.
He is not. To be sent off you have to commit 1 of the seven send off offences.
For example if you do get to a point where you have temporarily dismissed a player twice... How do you report this? answer two temporary dismissals.
If you show two cautions you report this as a red card offence.
A player is who is temporarily dismissed twice can take no further part in the game but he is not sent off. For example. If he hasn't Committed any other offences he can be replaced by a sub. A sent off player can never be replaced by a sub.

Correct, anyone can touch the ball before it leaves the PA (except the taker), but thje opposition must be outside the PA at the moment the ball is kicked and moves

This is correct. Unless however the defending team deliberately take the GK so quickly that the attacking players have genuinely not had a chance to retreat outside the PA. Much like a quick FK, in this scenario, all bets are off!!

@MacauleyUnwin your name is quite unique so I’m assuming you’re Somerset FA? If so, I’m also a referee on the league you’re officiating on as is another referee on this forum but I won’t throw his name in and catch him off guard! Just had a look at the game you’ve got and the two teams involved are a great bunch, you shouldn’t get any problems with them. Both managers are incredibly friendly. In fact, the home team in your fixture were involved in my first ever game as well and they were brilliant then as well.
I’d you want any guidance or help etc, or information about the league in general, just drop me a message!

however, if I’ve got the wrong person, ignore me! The referee appointments officer on that league mentioned a new ref with the same name as you to me last week!

Im the other ref who ref’s that league (although due to the weather, seems like an age since I’ve done a game on it. And, due to other commitment, have had to close off this week and next, but hope to be back in a fortnight’s time.)

As @QuaverRef says, both those teams are great. But I’ve just seen your game is off today, shame.

Likewise, happy for you to get in touch for any advice/info/general chat.

Hope to see you on the circuit at some point.

Best wishes,

J

All this sin bin lark is probably letting players get away with stuff that really should be stopped /nipped in the bud earlier by strong refereeing, first game/ last game, be in charge, don’t let them rule the roost!

Back