A&H

First game on Saturday

ref.rowan

Level 9 Referee
Hi,
I am 14 and have recently completed the first part of my course (I now have to referee five games and take the test). On Saturday, I have my first game. It is an U11 match, first game of the season. I am reasonably confident about the game itself but not very sure about what to do prematch - kit inspection, talking to ar's, etc. If someone could give me a run down of what to do I would really appreciate it. I was assigned a mentor but he can't attend this game. Thanks

The Referee Store
Well done and welcome to the community. Remember on Saturday that not only will this be your first game in the middle, for U11's first game of the season it will likely be a lot of the players first full match with a "proper" referee, and with offside being played as well.

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time - for U11's that would need to be 30 - 45 minutes ahead of the kick off time. Don't be surprised though if you arrive before the home manager does... Assuming they are there though, introduce yourself, and set out your expectations of the run up to kick-off. e.g. "I'll inspect the pitch, and then check the nets. About 10 minutes before kick off I'd like to do a kit inspection, so please make sure your team is ready for this. Can you let me know who will be running your line, as I'd like to brief them before kick off as well".

Then inspect the pitch - you are looking for dog mess, sharps, mole hills etc - anything which would be a danger to players. Anything you find report to the home manager and ask them to sort -it is NOT your job to clear dog mess for example (but being pragmatic, you could kick over a mole hill). As you are inspecting the pitch, check the goals - making sure they are safe, and that the nets are secured to your satisfaction (i.e. pegged down well).

At 10 - 15 minutes before kick off, go back to the home manager and ask them to call their team together so you can do the kit inspection. Interrupt their team's warm up if necessary - don't stand there waiting assuming they will stop. Get the players lined up, facing you. Make a friendly comment to them if you wish. Ask them if any one is wearing any jewellery, and do a visual check as well. As you are looking from player to player, make sure they all have shin pads on. Then go around the back of them, or ask them to turn around, and go from player to player to check their studs. At this age you might need to give them some guidance such as "let me check your left boot, now your right boot", but hopefully the rest of the team will get it after the first couple of players. Note that prior to kick off the home manager should also provide you with match balls and flags.

Introduce yourself to the away manager. Same thing regarding checking the players kit, and asking to be advised who will run their line.

Do the away team before the home team if that suits you better on the day.

~5 minutes before kick off, go to the centre circle and blow your whistle. Hard. Call in the team captains, the managers, and the "linos". Toss a coin, and get the away captain to call heads or tails, and whoever wins the toss to decide which end they will attack first. Give flags to your CARs (Club Assistant Referees - your linos). Tell them both at the same time, and in front of the managers, what you want from them - e.g. "Thanks for doing this, in and out of play please with a nice clear flag, for offside only flag if the player is active - I might have a different opinion in which case I'll wave to you and you can put the flag down and carry on up the line. Please don't flag for any fouls - that is my job alone. Thanks again, and have a good game". Remember it is quite possible it will be your CARs first ever match running the line - they likely have not a clue about what the laws are, let alone the offside law - but at this point unless they are blatantly mistaken go with their flag.

You're then ready to get the teams in place and start the match.

Count the number of players in each half. START YOUR WATCH. Blow the whistle and enjoy!

Note, for the first few matches of the season for U11's when doing the kit inspection I will ask the players what should they do if the flag goes up. Most of them will say "stop playing" or something similar. Remind them to play to the whistle. I then ask them what me sticking my arm in the air during a free-kick means, and talk to them about IDFK's. Managers will often join in at this point, only because they have never bothered teaching their players before about these subtleties, so let them finish those points for you. But only do this if you feel confident enough - its your first few matches as well and you don't want to be overwhelmed.

The most important thing is to understand that you will make mistakes. That's fine - read these forums and you will see that even the longest serving referees make mistakes. So don't worry about them - but do learn from them.

And act confident. Even if you are literally shaking in your boots, try and hide it. Being confident in your decision making, and signals, and whistle blowing, will give the players and managers and parents confidence in you - it breeds respect.

And again, enjoy. Report back as to how you get on!

Have you reviewed the LOTG?
Do it again.
Night before, review Law 11 and 12 in particular.
My first year refereeing, every morning of a game I'd pick a Law and review it. Something came up (in a match I officiated/saw, or even read online) that I wasn't sure about? Read the entire section.
If there are games before yours, you might like to turn up even earlier to watch another game - I find it can help me relax and get 'in the mood' (for refereeing!!!)
Prepare your kit the night before and allow time for traffic snarls - you don't want to be stressed from running late.
Even if you don't know, look and sound confident.

great advice from the other refs, and as expoitor says when you make a mistake, when not if in your first few games it will happen, forget about it because if you are thinking about giving a throw the wrong way, you willl lose concentration and you will miss something that really matters, enjoy it and welcome to the good side

Back