A&H

Open Age First game of the 2016/17 season

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Well, had my first game of the season, which almost didn't go ahead as one of the teams (brand new to the league) didn't have any match cards, but the away team gave them a blank one of theirs.

It was the group stage of a pre-season cup and ended 3-3.

The away team played the better football, but got a monk on because I awarded 2 penalties against them and a free kick, which resulted in 2 of the home teams 3 goals.

I'll admit the first penalty was a soft one, but the second was a shoulder barge/charge that sent the home player flying.

Just after this the away captain was having a whinge so I called him over to have a chat when he went off on one (loudly) about me not having got a single decision right all game etc, you know the usual sort of stuff. So he got a caution for his trouble.

Dealing with dissent was the weakest part of my game last season, but following on from advice on here I decided to deal with it early on (about the 44th minute). After which there was no more dissent for the rest of the match. The away captain did start again in the second half, but he was subbed after 5 minutes.

I have been thinking that the caution may have been a bit soft, however, as he was the captain there was no room for me to manage it i.e. quite word, then quiet word with the captain, then caution etc. I also felt that his team were following his lead, as the more whinging he did the more the rest of his team did.

Other than that there was little of note, couple of free kicks for careless tackles and one for a deliberate hand ball on the halfway line.

It wasn't my best performance, as I did feel a bit rusty after a couple of months off, but I soon got into the swing of it. But over all I'm happy with my performance, both penalties were fouls, and I even improved my positioning pushing further into the box on corners and long throws etc.

The Referee Store
deliberate handball is a redundant statement, but a misleading one. It implies there there is accidental handball, but given the inaccurate phrase of handball implies a free kick that suggests there is a free kick for accidental handling. Which there isn't. And as a result, players think that 'deliberate handball' (that is to say, a blatant slap of the ball - or even catching a ball that they think has gone out!) is always a caution, which is incorrect.

Sounds like you had no choice with the captain. Roadblocks are only a rough framework - you don't need to apply them rigidly. From the nature and tone of the comment it sounds like he left you with no choice but to caution him.

I refereed a pre-season friendly Sunday, during play the ball fell behind a player, bounced, came up at an angle and hit the player on the elbow, and there was numerous shouts for a handball i waved play on. At the next stop in play the captain said to me "why was that not a handball?" i explained the ball bounced behind him came up at an angle and hit his elbow,his reply was "it should have been a handball he could have moved his arm"..............

I had a captain run 50 yards yesterday to tell his player that he couldn't shout my ball or it was a free kick and that he must use his name.

In the same game the opposition captain told me several times that I was wrong about the ball having to leave the area from a free kick and it only applied to goal kicks.

Sigh

I had a captain run 50 yards yesterday to tell his player that he couldn't shout my ball or it was a free kick and that he must use his name.

In the same game the opposition captain told me several times that I was wrong about the ball having to leave the area from a free kick and it only applied to goal kicks.

Sigh
Rather comforting with the new/revised laws to know that these old misconceptions are still alive & well this season!;)

Back