A&H

First game in charge, feed back please

Brennan87

Level 9 Referee
Hi everyone, I said I'd post my first game. Adult football, Really enjoyable experience, I think the league secretary gave me a 'ease into it' fixture. Somewhat like men in black I arrived in plenty of time, did my pitch inspection like I knew what I was doing and then blew the whistle to start (thinking what am I doing!). I was due to have an assessor there but he didn't make it. Glad he didn't so I could just get on with it but looking back I wish I did now.

Game was really uneventful for the most part and both teams shown really good sportsmanship (for most of the game). The first 5 minutes I really wanted to blow my whistle or gesture for ball out of play just to let the lads know I was there. Took me a while to find my voice. Not too much to report on but 2 incidents I'd appreciate feed back on.

1. Red player and Pink player went for a 50/50 resulting in a red player throw in. During the 50/50 the pink player has gone down screaming holding his ankle. In my eyes there was no foul, and no other players even enquired about the outcome other than a throw in. I asked the pink player is he ok? (I know I should have asked does he need treatment and that's it) he repeatedly told me that challenge was f@cking disgusting and red player should be booked. When he was back on his feet and realised it was a throw he said that's F@cking Sh@t. I called him over, told him I appreciated he's frustrated with the decision but I don't want to be hearing that kind of language, to which he walked away giving me the F@ck off gesture. I blew my whistle, called him back and issued him a YC for dissent.

Was I too hard on him for Sunday league football?

2. CK to the red team, the ball is in the air inside the 18 yard box to be won. Pink player tried to clear it with his foot, red player tries to head it. Pink player clears the ball but then makes contact with the red players head. I continue play, the red player shows a head injury so I stop the game and assess, he's ok. Both sets of players have a moan. I don't think it was high foot, I also don't think there was dangerous play. If I went high foot I would have to give a Pen and that would have been so soft.

Happened really fast this one and I just wasn't sure.

The whole game was a overall enjoyable experience, and I'm looking forward to next weekend. A few individual players spent 90 minutes moaning, nothing worth noting but just annoying.

The Referee Store
Hi everyone, I said I'd post my first game. Adult football, Really enjoyable experience, I think the league secretary gave me a 'ease into it' fixture. Somewhat like men in black I arrived in plenty of time, did my pitch inspection like I knew what I was doing and then blew the whistle to start (thinking what am I doing!). I was due to have an assessor there but he didn't make it. Glad he didn't so I could just get on with it but looking back I wish I did now.

Game was really uneventful for the most part and both teams shown really good sportsmanship (for most of the game). The first 5 minutes I really wanted to blow my whistle or gesture for ball out of play just to let the lads know I was there. Took me a while to find my voice. Not too much to report on but 2 incidents I'd appreciate feed back on.

1. Red player and Pink player went for a 50/50 resulting in a red player throw in. During the 50/50 the pink player has gone down screaming holding his ankle. In my eyes there was no foul, and no other players even enquired about the outcome other than a throw in. I asked the pink player is he ok? (I know I should have asked does he need treatment and that's it) he repeatedly told me that challenge was f@cking disgusting and red player should be booked. When he was back on his feet and realised it was a throw he said that's F@cking Sh@t. I called him over, told him I appreciated he's frustrated with the decision but I don't want to be hearing that kind of language, to which he walked away giving me the F@ck off gesture. I blew my whistle, called him back and issued him a YC for dissent.

2. CK to the red team, the ball is in the air inside the 18 yard box to be won. Pink player tried to clear it with his foot, red player tries to head it. Pink player clears the ball but then makes contact with the red players head. I continue play, the red player shows a head injury so I stop the game and assess, he's ok. Both sets of players have a moan. I don't think it was high foot, I also don't think there was dangerous play. If I went high foot I would have to give a Pen and that would have been so soft.

The whole game was a overall enjoyable experience, and I'm looking forward to next weekend. A few individual players spent 90 minutes moaning, nothing worth noting but just annoying.

The booking was 100% right imo, if you didn’t lay the law down and show him who’s incharge he would have walked all over you & others would have probably followed suite.

Stoping play for a head injury is part and parcel I would say, you didn’t see foul play sh*t happens he got hurt in the contact whist ball was cleared.

As for players moaning imo I’m only two games in but I’ll be nipping it in the bud early, first game it didn’t stop for 90mins but I had much bigger things to worry about as for the second game today hardly any moaning but if I get it in the future and it bothers me I’ll call the player over and warn him anymore after that and I’ll be booking him, I haven’t turned up to listen to someone yapping in my ear for 90mins.

Well done on your game compare to me last week giving a pen from the centre circle that had the whole pitch in shock, I didn’t have a scooby where to stand on the pitch ended up running down the line off the pitch with a winger.

Sounds like you did well and you’ll only get better with different in game incidents and experiences, good on ya.

Agree with what's above, with more experience I'd even be considering dismissing the player in the first scenario. If they're tell me to f off then, especially after you'd already warned him and he'd sworn at you before, then a caution for dissent is the absolute minimum, so props for giving that one.

As for the second, I fall into the category that, especially at a lower level, player safety is the absolute priority - if you see a player going down holding their head, there's no harm in stopping the game. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sounds like a good first game though - players will always moan, only thing you can do is make sure you're in the best, most credible positions to penalise or not where necessary, and don't be afraid to use your cards. Well done!

The f off gesture? I assume you mean threindex and middle finger in a backwards peace sign?

Offinabus all day and should be dismissed.

I dont mind foul language, I am not easily offended but when players are that direct you've no choice really but to get rid.

The f off gesture? I assume you mean threindex and middle finger in a backwards peace sign?

Offinabus all day and should be dismissed.

I dont mind foul language, I am not easily offended but when players are that direct you've no choice really but to get rid.
I’m with James regards hand gesture , early shower time !

Sounds like a red for the OFFINABUS. I think an observer would agree, so perhaps a blessing they didn't show. Is it your first ever game? If so, I thought you couldn't apply for promotion until you've completed a full season?

For the dangerous play, as long as you are in a credible position then no complaints.

The main thing out of all of this though is that you enjoyed it! Thats arguably the number one criteria in all your games. Well done.

Maybe not a great situation for your first match but you've sometimes got to do what is right. Swearing in frustration is one thing, its not nice to hear but im sure we've all cussed banging our toe in the night! However, that said, on the FOP you were right to initially warn him. Calm him down etc. That said, he's then moved the goalposts and made it personal to you, sticking up the Royal V to your face is a RED all day long, no quibbles, no questions, no yellow, bye bye, enjoy the shower.... Onwards and upwards....

Last edited:
Back