A&H

First final after 2 years of refereeing

Sippa20

50th min of a pretty physical game .. blue vs black.. black player commits careless trip on blue player in the middle if the field, shrugs it off and walks away, blue player den commits careless trip on black player who jus fouled blue player.. ask for a caution on blue player as he believes it's a SPA. Says no card jus carless foul , black player says that's why there is fight in games so I ask him if he wants to fight right now let's get it going.. for rest of the game he did not make any more remarks either being fouled or fouling any player..

Do you guys think that was handled well for match control, at that point the challenges was coming in firmly but fair, after that incident which I told him out loud every one was kinda cautious with d challenging

The Referee Store
The way you have put it in your post (a little hard to picture how it was delivered), it doesn't sound right and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But it worked for you so it must have been right for that game and that moment. In another game, it may backfire.

Last edited:
50th min of a pretty physical game .. blue vs black.. black player commits careless trip on blue player in the middle if the field, shrugs it off and walks away, blue player den commits careless trip on black player who jus fouled blue player.. ask for a caution on blue player as he believes it's a SPA. Says no card jus carless foul , black player says that's why there is fight in games so I ask him if he wants to fight right now let's get it going.. for rest of the game he did not make any more remarks either being fouled or fouling any player..

Do you guys think that was handled well for match control, at that point the challenges was coming in firmly but fair, after that incident which I told him out loud every one was kinda cautious with d challenging
Say that to some players with a smile, they'll see the joke and be first to offer you a drink afterwards.
Say that to other players with less than a grovel, they'll see the thereat and be first to swing at you.

Unless you know for sure which one you've got, gambling is probably a bad idea.

Thats a very bad idea for a number of reasons.

Let me get this straight, you offered to fight a player?
If this is true I would strongly recommend against it. Not only are you opening yourself up to being attacked, you are leaving yourself wide open to having disciplinary proceedings brought against yourself.

I thought this was a wind-up at first 😂.

I wouldn’t even consider saying it with a Cheshire Cat esq grin and very jokey tone! I’ve found players can go from being your best mate, to threatening to report your decisions within the time it takes to give a decision they don’t like.

If you give them any ammunition to use against you, like the above, there’s a good chance they’ll use it.

I'll be honest, I had to read this a couple of times. Can't even begin to tell you what a bad idea this is, regardless of the level, tone of the game, or of any relationship you have with the player(s).

Banter with players is one thing, but you're opening yourself up to a whole world of trouble with comments like this.

By the post title it looks like you've done this in a final too. I suppose we shouldn't ostracise anyone that comes on looking for advice because that's what we use this forum for. But you must accept that what you did was wrong. Just a mistake you must learn from. But you must learn from this one instantly!

Very hard to say but my take was that he told the player to fight the opponent in a sarcastic way so he (the ref) can send him (the player) off for it.

Very hard to say but my take was that he told the player to fight the opponent in a sarcastic way so he (the ref) can send him (the player) off for it.
I read it as the referee offering to fight the player...

Back