A&H

First Ever Fixture

EnglishReferee

Twitter @EnglishReferee
Level 9 Referee
Received my first fixture today and really pleased. They've shown a lot of confidence in me giving me a Cambs 4A game as my first. Slightly nervous but feeling good about it as I've a lot of experience within the game.

The game is between two quite even teams, one in 3rd and the other in 6th.. 9 points separating them.

Wish me luck and I welcome any advice.

The Referee Store
Be confident with your decisions, good whistle blowing and if you make a mistake try not to dwell and lets us know how you got on.

Don't doubt yourself, players will try every trick in the book. Don't let players get in your head by saying "he has to go ref, that's a caution." etc. They are trying to influence your decision. Make it clear you are the sole decider of what is classed as infringement and not, and what punishment to sanction.

If you caution or dismiss someone, make sure they tell you the right shirt number. You'll need their name as well.

If you give a decision, stick to it unless you are 100% wrong. You made that decision in the first place because you were sure it was in infringement.

Above all, be confident. Even if you're getting everything wrong during the game, and you know you're having a nightmare, keep your head up. It'll only get worse if you start to doubt yourself, and your match control will suffer because of it.

I've always said that refereeing is not just about knowing what you are doing, but also looking like you know what you are doing. Even if you forget the first part, the second part will save you.

When I did my course my instructor always said 'If you're going to get it wrong, get it wrong with 100% confidence!' which has always stuck with me as solid advice for whatever game you're doing.

You will make mistakes. Don't dwell on them, and good luck!

When I did my course my instructor always said 'If you're going to get it wrong, get it wrong with 100% confidence!' which has always stuck with me as solid advice for whatever game you're doing.

You will make mistakes. Don't dwell on them, and good luck!

Yes, give the decisions with confidence. Also giving them from 5 yards away rather than 50 yards away will certainly help sell the decisions. Back when I played I'd turn round to have a moan at the ref after he gave a foul against me, only to think better of it if he was right next to me. If he was stood still in the centre circle then my view was very much he was fair game for an earful (before I became a referee I should add :))

Was told to weirdly to open a new topic about this but pointless so I'll add it to my original as it came from the same section.

Cambridge I'm told is £19 for adults on Sat, £20 Sundays and 35p PM. Sounds like it's one of the worst paid around. In regards to the 35p PM, who did we charge this to?

Cheers:)

I get 35 for mens, no expenses but it typically only costs me a fiver or so in travel.

In the Kent Youth League, it's 45 for under 18 plus expenses!

Was told to weirdly to open a new topic about this but pointless so I'll add it to my original as it came from the same section.

Cambridge I'm told is £19 for adults on Sat, £20 Sundays and 35p PM. Sounds like it's one of the worst paid around. In regards to the 35p PM, who did we charge this to?

Cheers:)

This topic has been discussed many times and well different counties/countries pay different amounts it simple. Ross asked you to open a new thread as people weren't looking at the previous thread anymore simple...not weird just common sense, if you want to start a debate discussion!

Received my first fixture today and really pleased. They've shown a lot of confidence in me giving me a Cambs 4A game as my first. Slightly nervous but feeling good about it as I've a lot of experience within the game.

The game is between two quite even teams, one in 3rd and the other in 6th.. 9 points separating them.

Wish me luck and I welcome any advice.
Best advice, 'the best referee is one who is not noticed, unless required.' also don't be late and check your kit on the Thurs before the fixture. Have fun

One more peice of advice ; make sure you know where the ground is. The postcode is not always going to get you to the door- especially more rural areas. This is from bitter and embarrassing experience.

Enjoy

This topic has been discussed many times and well different counties/countries pay different amounts it simple. Ross asked you to open a new thread as people weren't looking at the previous thread anymore simple...not weird just common sense, if you want to start a debate discussion!

It's not an issue mate just always been told on many numerous forums to search for answers and avoid opening new topics if not needed. I don't mind whatever the rules are!

Who do I charge the mileage to? I've got someone coming to watch me first game and help out so that'll be good.

I would assume the team who pays you pay the mileage, although maybe someone from Cambridge FA could clarify for you!

In Suffolk the home team has responsibility to pay you,and when I did my Cambridgeshire game it was the same. A quick tip, Routemaster your trip so you know how many miles you need to claim for for your whole journey.

20 bloody quid! they can sod right off for that, £35 here in now pretty much every Essex Sunday league .. get £25 + 30p PM for lines on the ESL!

£35 for my Sunday league, and £34 for my Saturday one. £34 is a stupidly annoying fee, so ends up being £35 as no one ever has the change!

Saying that, if you're looking for something to do for money then refereeing isn't it!

Last edited:
Not sure how there can be such a difference in regards to fees, seems ridiculous! Can I Change FA?:cry: (I joke). £35 would be lovely each game.

Does anyone know what the Birmingham FA pays?

Back