A&H

first assessment in a normal game

Stuart McKenzie

referee on tour in the summer
overall standard expected level 6 to 5 in a normal standard game. if I get 3 of these is that enough to pass

Attachments

• mckenzie stuart 5.9.15.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 76
The Referee Store
Hi Stuart, when going 6 to 5 you are assessed as a level 6, so to achieve promotion you should be aiming to be above standard or well above standard.
Below is information assessors and candidates received recently from my CFA to try to make sure that the correct level is used on the new forms, of course other CFA's may have a different view.

Interpretation of “Standard Expected” mark in the Overall Performance Indicator

After giving consideration to the approach the Referees’ Committee will take when considering assessments at the promotion meeting next March, the Committee decided on an interpretation that will be adopted.

TO ASSESSORS

Please be aware that the interpretation in the “Standard Expected” marking – as entered in thebox shown below – will not be considered as a positive recommendation for promotion, nor will it be considered as positively indicating the candidate not being suitable for promotion. It will be interpreted as noting that the performance witnessed was to the standard expected of a Referee within the classification he/she currently occupies.

This can often be the standard an Assessor judges, affected not only by performance but by how testing or not a match might be.

However, if an Assessor marks “Standard Expected”, MFA wouldexpect there to be some development points in order to help the Referee to progress to the next Level.

Therefore, if an Assessor feels that the candidate is, in his/her opinion, on the performance witnessed, clearlyready for promotion, then either “Above Standard” or “Well Above Standard” should be the indication given.

Conversely, if an Assessor feels that the candidate is, in his/her opinion, on the performance witnessed, clearlynot yet ready for promotion, then either “Below Standard” or “Well Below Standard” should be the indication given, accompanied by some detailed advice.

We hope this is clear and that you will assist us by taking this information on board.

Performance Indicator – Overall Match Performance:(please tick)
Well Below Standard BelowStandard Standard Expected AboveStandard Well Above Standard
☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐

@Stuart McKenzie - Stuart, I would attempt a better job to remove the teams names and re-post the assessment.

From the report, you need to ensure that those three development points do not appear on future assessment. They are pretty easy points and in a "not particularly challenging game" for a level 6, I would not have expected them to be listed (as they should have been cleared in 7-6 assessments).

As Kevnot says, I think that you will need a couple of "above standard" assessment to be sure.

My assessment last Monday (6-5) was based on a L5 referee, as i got done on my fitness AGAIN!
I can pre right this in to every assessment!

What difference does someone's "physique" make to their competency?

Likewise what is a "healthy perception"?

As I've said elsewhere, it's the turn of the more sturdy of our colleagues to be judged more on what they look like than how they actually perform!

What difference does someone's "physique" make to their competency?

Likewise what is a "healthy perception"?

As I've said elsewhere, it's the turn of the more sturdy of our colleagues to be judged more on what they look like than how they actually perform!
It does seem somewhat unfair. But to an extent, 'perception is reality'. We all know full well that a decision made from 15 yards away is (rightly or wrongly) seen to be more credible by players, coaches and spectators. Likewise, people jump to conclusions based on physical appearance (in every walk of life). Just look at the 'noise' around Phil Dowd's physique as an example ....

So appearing to all involved to be in shape, smart and professional for me just makes it more likely that credibility and match control will start in a strong place. Obviously from then on it's all about the actual performance!!

My assessment last Monday (6-5) was based on a L5 referee, as i got done on my fitness AGAIN!
I can pre right this in to every assessment!

Looking at potential L5 referees, we look more for a link between fitness and positioning. If you become a L5 (and potential apply for L4) there is an expectation of a fitness level suitable to the game. You can get away with a lack of fitness by better positioning (also cheating by continuing to close in on an incident after you blow the whistle. By the time players look at you, you are only a few yards away = its what euro referees do!).
The assessment shows development areas in both competencies - if you nail re-starts, open play can become easier as you are starting from a good position. As the assessor says, directly behind play is bad as your view tend to be block. You need an angle on challenges for the best view.
These things are fixable, so with help from your coach and RDO L5 is achievable.

Thanks @lincs22 some useful comments there.

Alas being a 38 year old referee, i dont get the luxury of of a coach, i think L5 will be the furthest i would be able to get to due to the fitness (certainly for the next few years, have about 6 stone to shift!)

Back