A&H

Favorite Ref Items?

pbwhite

Thought I'd ask what other referees would call your favorite items in your bag. I'm pretty well set on my bag of stuff, but always interested in what others might list as their favorite items that they carry.

My first is the Fox40 whistle with finger grip - I used to use a Fox 40 on a wrist lanyard, but every now and then the whistle would come off the lanyard clip - the finger grip is much better IMO.

Sock liners is number two - using sock liners under the standard sock is more comfortable, and wicks away moisture - also nice to wear in wet weather. I recently had a single fixture, and didn't put them on, and noticed a big difference in comfort, if only for a single game.

The Referee Store
BootBuddy. Its great for cleaning boots on site which makes it easier for the good clean at home. Never had a whistle come off a lanyard.

My backpack duffle bag. (UnderArmour SC30). I has enough room for my 8 shirts (it's how we roll here in the states), a shoe compartment, a side zip that holds my flags, referee wallet, pump/gauge, etc. It has some attachment points where I have carabiners attached for my car keys, water bottle and a flipping coin pouch. I toss it on my back and off I go to the fields

Got two fox40’s haven’t used them yet as coudnt get a proper sound everytime out of them (been covered before on here) I really do need to get in the garden and practice with it because the cheap 99p one I use is gonna fall apart soon.

I’d say under leggings & top was a god send in the winter, but my no1 must have is the little black note pads the Mrs got me from Tesco same size as usual note pad but lined pages easy to flip out and get in & out of pocket, they really are good, i pre write a bit of info on them before each match & away you go.

Going off my ref kit a little it is a full Nike kit but 2014 I believe but just makes me look a bit fat I think, need something a little more figure hugging so may invest over the summer.

Got two fox40’s haven’t used them yet as coudnt get a proper sound everytime out of them (been covered before on here) I really do need to get in the garden and practice with it because the cheap 99p one I use is gonna fall apart soon.

I’d say under leggings & top was a god send in the winter, but my no1 must have is the little black note pads the Mrs got me from Tesco same size as usual note pad but lined pages easy to flip out and get in & out of pocket, they really are good, i pre write a bit of info on them before each match & away you go.

Going off my ref kit a little it is a full Nike kit but 2014 I believe but just makes me look a bit fat I think, need something a little more figure hugging so may invest over the summer.
can you post a picture of the black note pads you mean cheers

can you post a picture of the black note pads you mean cheers

Will do they are a god send, don’t know if anyone is like me but in the heat of the moment or a freezing cold day you need space to write or scribble details down, trying to use the box’s and zero space on the ref cards I just coudnt get along with.

With this pad you’ve got as many pages as u need, u can rip the pages out when finished, it’s got elastic attached to it to keep it together and keep pencil attached, it’s just quick easy & gives you more space to write.

I just pre write a few headings on each page & off I go.

I’ll have to take a couple of pics of it and post them.

cheers i have tried google, so i liik forward to see what referees use other than the preprinted ones

I used a Fox 40 sonik blast whistle on a lanyard for my first season but moved to the finger-grip version shortly afterwards. Best thing I ever did.
Wearing compression shorts has also helped my tight hamstrings (which leads to achilles problems) no end ....

Men in Black mentioned his notepad. I use the write on cards for my games - easy to pull from your pocket, and you can write on them in the rain with pencil, as they're waterproof. Like MiB does on his pad, I prefill the info on the cards before I head out to my games. After the game report is filed, just erase the info, and start again.

x_2016_GameCard-1game_small.jpg

Men in Black mentioned his notepad. I use the write on cards for my games - easy to pull from your pocket, and you can write on them in the rain with pencil, as they're waterproof. Like MiB does on his pad, I prefill the info on the cards before I head out to my games. After the game report is filed, just erase the info, and start again.

View attachment 2015
Where do u keep the pencil & do u write subs names and numbers b4 kick off?

I never had to write one team sheet or subs list out in 500+ games, some had team sheets for me but some had absolutely nothing! Just got on with it really! I always got my man if required.

Kids, don't try this at home.

Just subs names and numbers I put down so I know who is coming on & also for caution purposes but In reality does it make a difference?

What is the overall opinion of the finger grip for whistle?

Must admit can get a little tedious with the wrist band and holding whistle between finger & thumb.

Back